View Single Post
Unread 03-26-2003, 02:59 PM   #48
Graystar

Default Re: maybe?

Quote:
Originally posted by mikildemion
I have a thought may work may not work not sure just thinking here.

keeping the base the same thickness but adding 3 layers between the top and the bottom. 2 of these layers will be hollow (center cut out) and in between these 2 layers will be the 3rd with holes cut in to it using a drill bit (2 - 3 mm in size) all over it.

Now my reasoning for this thought is 2 things, 1 it will increase the amount of water in the block (lower flow but higher volume) and second the holy layer will cause turbulance.

Would this cause more issues (higher temps worse performance) or would it increase performance?

I love the design, and the thought on the thickness of the base is good also. Since I have used this thickness in my own designes along with using 1/2" plexiglass as the block its self and the copper just for a base.

I am not a total n00b to making water blocks but I do not know all that much. Just enough to spend money and break stuff I guess.

MD
Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate it.

At first thought, your suggestions would go against the design goals I had in mind for water flow. I had two goals. The first was to have a very thin channel. Really, the only reason the parts are .043" thick is because I didn't think I'd be able to work with anything thinner! Otherwise I would have an even thinner base and thinner channel. The second goal was to get the water in and out fast. That's why it's a straight run from one side to the other, and why the outlets are so close together.

So here's the concept. Everyone knows that turbulence improves cooling. It does so by taking water that is in the middle of the stream (and not being heated) and bringing that water to the block surface where it can get heated. My idea was to make that "middle" so small that the inherent turbulence of simply flowing through the block would be enough to fully heat the water.

However, I don't want the water to get too hot. NO NO NO! I want that water out of there so that I can bring in fresh cool water. Therefore, I don't have any barriers to flow, except for the narrow opening. The narrow opening, coupled with the thin channel, helps to boost the flow rate of the water through the channel. This gets the water out in a hurry. Water that gets out fast is heated less, but it is better to have 2 grams of water zip through the block than to have 1 gram of water linger in the block for twice as long. The 2 grams, though at a lower temperature, actually drew more heat from the block.

So, to address your suggestions. I believe that the lower flow/higher volume idea would decrease performance, as higher flow is always better (regardless of block design.) Also, I would want the turbulence action to occur on the base of the channel, not on the ceiling. I've touched the block and it isn't even hot. So all the action is occuring on the base side of the channel.

On the next block I will be scoring the base in an attempt to increase turbulence. So we'll see if that has an effect.
Graystar is offline   Reply With Quote