View Single Post
Unread 06-11-2003, 08:58 PM   #61
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by bigben2k
All right, let's address part#1: the flow test.

So far, pHaestus despises the bucket test (and rightfully so), and proposes a manometer instead, which is very easy (heck, I've done it, in the kitchen!). I think that there are various opinions on this otherwise.

Now I don't want to start a poll for everything here... and I tend to lean towards what pHaestus proposes, because it's simple, cheap, and relatively accurate (with the right pump).

Can we drop the bucket test, as an acceptable flow test?

The way I see it, if a typical system has a flow of ~50 gph (source: OC article), then we're looking to see a 5 gallon bucket fill up in 6 minutes, and assuming that the tester is slow on the trigger, he might measure the time at plus or minus 10 seconds.

Is this 3% error unacceptable? Is the manometer going to be that much more accurate?
How about you tell us. Do both a few times each and see what the results are?

I am still a little confused on this whole GPH deal though. What gph are we trying to find? The pumps gph? the block's gph? the pump with the block hooked up to it gph?

Seems to me you would want the pumps GPH, the pump with the block gph, and then the complete systems gph.

Then we would know what that the pump can do, how restrictive the block itself it, and then the gph of the system while testing. All in which seems pretty necassary to me.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote