View Single Post
Unread 11-28-2005, 12:39 PM   #346
Albigger
Cooling Savant

Default Re: Apogee from Swiftech...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pHaestus
The other huge problem with using a CPU in a lab would be the power estimation. I have no good homebrew solution for that one other than insulation and calculation based on dT of water across the wb plus flow rate.

Yeah my impression in this was that accuracy of the temp and flow measurements are extremely important and any errors lead to errors in calculating the wattage from the CPU. Also the dT from waterblock inlet/outlet is often very small, no?

How about calorimeter type setup with the cpu under load (similar to what one would do to measure a pump's heat input to an insulated loop). Just let the system water keep increasing and insulate the whole thing (better if no pump is involved, just a tank of insulated, well-stirred water) but anyway, is that even remotely feasible?

The only issue with that which I can see (besides the actual mechanical test setup) is that the cpu will dump less heat into the system as the system temp increases, and more into the motherboard itself. However this might be a small amount (neglible) or might not be, but won't know till check it, right? Has anyone characterized these losses before?
Albigger is offline   Reply With Quote