View Single Post
Unread 02-25-2004, 10:09 AM   #14
|kbn|
Cooling Savant

my slk800 was run with a fan at 5v for a while. it was very alost silent and done about 13cfm. a fan designed to run at that sped at 12v would have been quieter and same airflow... currently have a tt smartfan2 on it doing about 25cfm...

Butcher - I thought abuot nitrogen, seems to be the most likely atm.
I was reading the thread about making a -100c cascade phase change in which they used butane to keep the copper pipe from blocking while they welded the evap block together... would that be better? I would prefer nitrogen though, but Im thinking why they used butane..

Also this question is one of the msot important that I need to find an answer:
When copper is melted in air, it will oxidise quickly and then when it cools down, the oxigen produces air bubbles in the copper.
Would silver do the same? I know it is less reactive and therefore would oxidise less, so would it be fine just to melt it in air instead of another gas?

To heat the steel I am assuming I would need temperatures of almost 1200-1500c to melt the silver inside. iirc silver melts at ~900c, and copper is 1085c. Im still researching how to produce the heat, so far im considering the different types of gas including the very cheap type used with cookers and charcoal which is also very cheap.
If I do this is will probably have to be done in my garden, and safety will be the most important thing to consider.

Last edited by |kbn|; 02-25-2004 at 10:15 AM.
|kbn| is offline   Reply With Quote