View Single Post
Unread 02-04-2004, 02:45 PM   #20
Zogthetroll
Cooling Savant

ok, now i know there are some of you out there who stealth your drives, and i like the concept (especially when you have bone white drives in a nicely painted or finished case. however, it isn't always that great, i mean if you just cover the drives it looks like your case just got to you from the factory, what's the point? i figure you use it to highlight an lcd, or a switch panel with indicator lights or something cool instead of having empty looking drive bays. anyway, i do like the concept, but i kinda ran out of drive bays on my computer for an lcd, so at some point one of the little voices in my head says "why not stealth a drive WITH an lcd" gasp, was it possible? the original idea was to attach the lcd to the front of the drive and have it run out when the drive was oppened. but as i said, i've got an oversize lcd, plus the wire hookup was in the wrong spot (bottom instead of side) so instead i came up with what you see below, my stealthed 2nd drive bay with a spring-loaded lcd front panel that swings down to allow cd access. yeah, i could just be wierd, but i'd never seen it before, and wanted to know if it could be done. all i have to say is it looks cool and it works. and yes, i do plan to stealth the top drive. the trick that makes it work is that i dissassembled the cd burner and redrilled the holes for the guide rails so it sat 1/2" back from the face of the pc, thus giving the space needed for the lcd assembly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LCD07.jpg (34.5 KB, 45 views)
Zogthetroll is offline   Reply With Quote