Thread: Coolant
View Single Post
Unread 11-13-2002, 03:20 PM   #15
EagleShadow
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally posted by Brians256
Where does the voltage come from? Good question! My first thought was that it came from the ongoing galvanic corrosion. The voltage you got was because the dissimilar metals were forming a nice battery effect, and the effect became more pronounced as more charge carriers became available. But, I'm not sure of that. Wouldn't the electrical potential be there even if the solution had no charge carriers?

BTW: the chelating agent should trap the charge carriers. That's what it is for.
Guess they never did the water in a beaker with Iron and copper rods with ya in science class eh.

When you take Basic water and place it in a beaker. Take Iron Rod on 1 side. Copper on other. You can actually create electricity.

It boils down to the atomic substructure of one metal to the other. The water just acts like a bridge.

Put simply. Water and metals always makes battery's. Just most cases it's just not enough electric value to be of any problem.
( Been a while since I was in that class so pardon me for not remember'n all the details. ) " I just had my 10 year Reunion "