View Single Post
Unread 08-26-2002, 11:15 PM   #4
rzracer
Cooling Neophyte

Default Athlon Cooling

Those temps do infact fall within the guildlines set by AMD but most people just aren't comfortable with temps that high. I can pass a few tips that work for me. I'm using an AX-7 heatsink, it was fairly cheap and works better than the PAL8045 I was using. I put a Smartfan II on it and it works absolutly great. It has a thermal sensor that I placed on the bottom of the cpu with the supplied tape (yes the lead wires are VERY thin and allows you to run them between the CPU pins). When there is no load on the CPU it slows down and is almost silent. When you put a load on the cpu it will speed up but it never gets loud like the 6800 rpm delta I used to have (for about 2 days), nor does it have that high pitch that almost drove me nuts. My fully loaded temp never hits 50, usually 46-48 and my room temp is pretty warm. This is with an XP Athlon running at 1750 (10x175).

I also use Vcool. This small utility will not do anything for loaded cpu temps but all the while your surfing the net and not applying a big load (probably 90 percent of you computer time) it puts wait states to you cpu. This lowers your temps dramatically plus saves you money on you electric bill, lol. To give you an idea, my idle temp is 29-30c, this is with my house temp set to 78-80 degrees (this also plays a big factor as my temps in the winter are much less). Anyway the other day I unpluged the Smartfan II just to see how high the temp would get. I let it idle for 30 min and Vcool keep the temp at 42c. The only downside I find with the utility is Hard Drive speed. My Sisoft score goes down about 5000 points, all other benchmarks stay the same though. I usually disable it when gaming but really the only difference I can tell is it takes a few seconds longer for MOHAA to initally load, after that no difference during play. Oh yeah, it's free also (http://vcool.occludo.net/)

Of course good case cooling is important too. I use 2 80mm low speed fans in the rear of the case as well as an Enermax dual fan powersupply that has adjustable fan speed. All an all my setup is pretty quiet.
rzracer is offline   Reply With Quote