View Single Post
Unread 07-23-2002, 10:24 AM   #7
hmale
Cooling Savant

Hello Tony,

1. In order to protect the drive from getting "contaminated" by dust etc., I followed an approach where I tried to control the working environment as much as I could while employing speed in the removal and mounting of the new casing. To this end I did the following: I prepared the window before touching the hard drive. The frame for the window was made using a 1/8" solid , square acrylic rod which was glued to a 4"X5-5/8" glass pane.The actual mod itself was performed in my bathroom after letting the hot water in my shower run for approximately 15 minutes. The resulting humidity in the air will "attract" dust and minimize the possibilities of contamination. Afer preping the work area, I removed the screws to the drives original casing and removed it. I placed the new cover on as quickly as I could (a couple of seconds). I placed rubberbands to hold everything in place and proceeded to apply a silicone cement around the edges of the drive where the drive and window met.

2. Yes, the window is attached using silicone cement.

3. No problems whatsoever. Note, I would never do this to my primary drives (I use 15K seagate scsi drives in a raid array).. I use the modded drive for file storage (video, music files etc.). If it were to fail, it would not be a great loss.

4. Thanks for the nice comments...good luck!
hmale is offline   Reply With Quote