View Single Post
Unread 09-24-2003, 12:19 AM   #23
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally posted by funktional
Cathars 4xID theory isnt proved yet
I still have the 2xID, 3xID, 4xID (shipping), and 5xID blocks here.

As a result of the above I've taken to throwing them back onto the testbed after a quick cleanup.

I can reconfirm that 2xID is "about" 0.5C worse than 3xID, and 3xID is "about" 0.5C worse than 4xID. Actually slightly less than 1C separates 2xID from 4xID. 5xID performs about the same as 4xID (no statistical difference), but 4xID is cheaper to manufacture (less milling time), so that's why I stuck with it.

Flow rates used are ~4LPM and ~10LPM, representing an Eheim 1048 and an Iwaki MD-30RZ (50Hz) pump pushing through the Cascade blocks and two Camry cores in series.

Baseplate thickness does have an impact too. I didn't rerun the baseplate tests again. I have 4xID baseplate thicknesses in 0.7mm, 1.2mm, 1.7mm and 2.2mm. 1.7mm and 2.2mm perform worse at the flow rates I test with. 0.7mm favors the higher flow rate, but 1.2mm catches up at the lower flow rate, so a final base-plate thickness was chosen that met the target flow rate design criteria, being anywhere from 4-10lpm.

Other tests previously done focussed on hole geometry (honeycomb/grid), including hole inter-spacing. Also tested were jet ID to cup ID ratios ranging from 1:1.75 to 1:3, for which over a number of different hole geometries a singular consistent value kept showing up as being "ideal".

Also tested were various manifold chamber depths. Also lapping finishes which is still an ongoing development for me and some improvements have been made since the first batch of blocks from the one tested at WCP came from.

So you can see that there was a wide range of variables and combinations tested. As said before, in all that testing I saw about a 4C variation from best to worst, but never saw anything that could ever account for more than a further 1.5C over the final Cascade, which itself represents a practically machinable peak of that work.

Oh well. At least this thread has caused me to rethink and triple check my earlier work. I still have my grave doubts.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote