View Single Post
Unread 03-11-2003, 05:33 PM   #424
SysCrusher
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by bigben2k
I don't think anymore than 4 is needed, because I've seen the thermals but why do you think so?
Because of jet slightly loosing it's velocity after it exits the nozzle though it is a slight difference. If your nit-picking for every last performance gain then the smallest gain counts too. With a larger flow/pump, the further the distance between the base plate and nozzle can be without hurting performance greatly.

Quote:

Well, what concerns me is to make sure that the jet isn't going to be sucked out to the side/outlet. As it stands, the opening (of a quarter of the area) is 3.25mm by 1 (or equivalent), and the outlet is 5mm by 1mm, twice. That means that my inlet is much smaller than the outlet, so the jet should work fine, even if I drop the height to 4mm.
I think It'll work fine. More than 5mm with our type of pumps we use will just kill the effect we're looking for and that 5mm is right on the edge of loosing performance.

Quote:

The jet has to hit the baseplate, but I'm kinda hoping that it'll pickup some heat from the center fin too.
It will pick up any heat in the center fin and it should hit the base unless the pump is so weak it won't push it.

Quote:

From the original flow analysis, only the bottom 1mm is moving at any significant speed: that bothers me, a bit.
I'm lost there. Have no idea what you mean.

Quote:

As for the square inlet, it would only make the calculations simpler Otherwise, I am indeed considering it as 4 nozzles.
That's how lazy I can be.

Quote:

If 4-5 mm round nozzle is best, what pump would that be for?
I did this for a hydorL30 pump. About 300G/6Ft. head and one foot of hose If I remember correctly. Going with a smaller nozzle can actually decrease performance. It has to do with the velocity and size/shape of the impingement. The pump can only produce so much velocity/pressure with a given size nozzle. Once you reach the highest velocity you can with a nozzle, going smaller won't produce any more and will just effect the size of the impingement area. Of course the bigger the better the pump, the smaller you can go until you see negative returns providing the pump heat isn't a "big" concern. I can draw it on ms paint to better explain it.
SysCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote