View Single Post
Unread 04-29-2003, 10:16 PM   #1
Zymrgy
Cooling Neophyte

Default New guy with my waterblock idea

I have been pimping this idea around a couple of other forums & BigBen2k suggested that I try here...so here it goes.

The top is solid, with the "barbs" machined right in. The only tough part is the center inlet, with it being round on top & the cross on the bottom, with the transition between the 2 shapes happening along the full length of the inlet. Thats what wire EMD's are for. It is planned to have a 1/2 inlet & 2 3/8 outlets. The top will be anaodized alum to save $$$, & the bottom out of copper. Base thickness of the bottom is planned to be .093 inch. The base will start out at 1/4", the the pocket machined down. The "fins" are right now are set .06 down from the top of the block...I couldn't decide weather to make them flush or not. The plan is for them to be .040 (1mm) wide & the channels being the same width. The actual heigth of the fins is my biggest thinking point at the moment, right now the are set at .100" or so. . The idea came alot from Cathar's white water block, the most major mod being the inlet. My thinking is that a taper will allow for a smoother flow & hopefully better results that a immediate transisition from round to oval ( or cross ). There lies the challenge, tho. The only machine that is capable of making a cut like this is a wire EDM, which are not the fastest machines in the world. A cut like this would take 45min/ 1 hour. However, I have another idea that might work as well but I could cut on a mill, & that would be the inlet being a cone shape on the top to a certain depth & then I could conjure up some of my programming skills to taper out the cross on the back side. Even simpler would be to run a drill point down & the go to the cross.

I think I will call it the "X-BLOCK"

Thanks

A bit about me....I am a have been working as a machinist/programmer/network admin for way too long now. I am fortunate enough to have a boss that does not mind me doing "G jobs" on my own time. My biggest problem is finding the time.

[edit] shit...looks like I already posted in the wrong forum...shit again. Mods move as you wish [/edit]

Last edited by Zymrgy; 04-29-2003 at 10:22 PM.
Zymrgy is offline   Reply With Quote