View Single Post
Unread 12-24-2005, 12:22 AM   #18
slavik
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: Die Simulator vs. CPU Article Discussion

Bill, using the center, even though logical, could produce "bad" results. Notice that most CPU designs are not symmetrical and usually have the L1 and L2 cache at one side.

I think the best idea would be to use a die simulator and a real CPU and testing exactly the same waterblocks (trying to keep everything else the same, I know it is difficult) to try and correlate the 2 testing methods where the give consistently the same result.

example: give a CPU that has a power consumption of 100W, use "software heating" (this can range, but has to be the same once a method is chosen, method has to be exact ... a program that is specifically designed to do this, or a program that can be readily monitored/controlled. The said program also can't be based on any multi-user operating systems ... windows,unix,etc.) and then try to vary the power applied to the die simulator that produces the same readings that the CPU does.

In both cases, the temperature probing should be done in the same way ... would it be possible to drill into the IHS and stick a thermal probe in there?

The idea here is to create a simulation which is "close enough" so then you can adapt it to other CPUs and be able to graph out close approximations to how a cooler would act on a given CPU. Thus you get a database, where you choose a cooler (air cooler per say, assuming all come with a fan that isn't changed) that can be tested on a die simulator and then results can be produced with simple calculations ...

I also think that testing should turn to less exact changes ... meaning, I don't care if one cooler performs by 1C better than another (highly subjective) ... I would care though, how they would handle themselves in a variety of ambient temperatures (mainly 20C to 30C in 5C increments, inclusively).

Also, don't forget that until you can measure the kinetic energy of every molecule, no matter how you construct your testbed, you will never produce 100% accurate readings ...

To those lazy to read ... create your own testbeds but find a single standard testbench that you can correlate your tests to. This way, we can compare various results and correlate them between reviewers.

Much like in file formats ... there are Alcahol CD image formats, then there is Nero, then there are a bunch of others ... but the ISO 9660 is standard and anything can be converted to it and from it.
slavik is offline   Reply With Quote