View Single Post
Unread 10-20-2004, 08:47 PM   #11
DDogg
Cooling Neophyte

Thanks for the replies. I did the groundloop - Got some pics for y'all.

I got industrious today, but my back is just killing me. Found 60 ft of 3/8 copper on sale at Home Depot for 28.00. 1/2 was 60.00 bucks, so I went with the 3/8.

Basically I butterflied it into two 30 foot coils, and then ran 3/4 rigid copper supply lines with the coils in parallel. My little fountain pump didn't like trying to push though 60 feet, but it was OK with this setup.

Also, this allowed a 50 year old guy that smokes too much to dig the hole which was only 5x2x4 feet deep. I stopped when I hit muck. It only took me a little over an hour, but this was a flower bed and most of it was good sandy loam. Digging was pretty easy until I hit the muck. There was no way I was going to try to dig a 50 foot trench, even with a trencher. I put in an 18 zone Sprinkler system 10 years ago and I have 1 in pipe all over this place, except I kinda forgot exactly where it all is :-).

Plus I thought it might be useful for other folks to see you can do this fairly easily if you have diggable ground. I did the whole job in a little over 5 hours from machine off (to drain) to reboot on the groundloop. The costs were low. I think I dropped about 75-80 bucks all told including a new roll of solder, flux and a propane bottle.

Anyway, it seems to works great. No rads and no fans, except the normal case fans. Man the silence is nice. The room is so much cooler.

Measured incoming using another thermocouple than the probe I used outside [which showed 21C - See pic - squint a little] so I don't know if they jibe. It shows 25C inlet temp, which doesn't agree with the exterior reading of 21C I took. /Add: [I have near 15 feet of clear 5/8 od tubing from the ground loop to the point I am measuring inlet temp - I'm wondering if that could be sucking up some room heat?]

The good part is that the temp does not seem move...period. I've been throwing 2.150 VCore at it for a couple of hours now and it just stays at 25C.

SiSoft show 200 watts as the heat being dissipated. Don't know if that is accurate, but it should be portable reference number to anybody reading this for comparison.

It is too early to completely bless it. I need to throw a lot of heat at it for several days to make sure those two 30 foot butterfly coils can dissipate it OK. So far, it seems very encouraging.

What is not encouraging is I seem to have caused a slow leak when I was covering up about half the hole. Don't know what I can do now that it is down in the muck. There is no way I can R&R the thing. Maybe I can dig down enough to try. Big sigh on that one. Got in a hurry. I should know better by now.

/EDIT: JOY, YEAH! - I found the leak which was in my res. I had twisted a fitting O ring when I was replumbing this thing. Wow, you can't imagine how bummed I was thinking nearly all this work had been wasted. Man, like the best christmas present ever in my head to find that leak was inside the house, instead of 4 feet down in black muck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00004_low.jpg (83.1 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00006_low.jpg (87.5 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00007_low.jpg (112.1 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00008_low.jpg (138.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00004c.JPG (57.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00004c (1).JPG (48.0 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by DDogg; 10-24-2004 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Spelling and clarification
DDogg is offline   Reply With Quote