Thread: Pumps and heat
View Single Post
Unread 07-18-2002, 07:11 PM   #80
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally posted by Myrd
The most important reason for not using mercury vs. water is not visc. its Specific gravity. Mercury is by weight to volume inefficient. On the other hand if you take water and add a gylcol mixture to a 20% ratio you enable a better transfer of heat from the medium to the radiator. While inhibiting thermal gains from the pump.

To further improve Delta T across a radiator you should have the pump after the radiator with a larger inlet than discharge.

I do this for a living and have just started to look at trying my hand at cooling my PC this way. I'll post some Ideas soon.
Interesting... but even if mercury is "by weight" not as efficient as water, isn't it more efficient, for the same volume?

Rad>pump huh? I've been recommending rad>block (with the pump anywhere) so that the coolant entering the block is at its lowest temp. Am I wrong?

"...with a larger inlet than discharge." That makes good sense, but I think that most of us are stuck with what the pump manufacturer dictates. I take it that the reason for this is to minimize the pressure at the pump inlet, so that the pump can be a little more effective? (I'm stretching here, I can almost see it, but I'm not there yet!) Which would mean that my rad>block suggestion is still good, but the tubing size to the pump inlet should be bigger (biggest of all tubing/channels)?

(That would be consistent with a lot of high power pump setups I've seen)

Last edited by bigben2k; 07-18-2002 at 07:14 PM.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote