View Single Post
Unread 05-02-2010, 06:51 PM   #9
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Default Re: Large >1TB drives in GOS unit

Well, if you dont want to listen to the Pros, then go to Newegg and read the ton of customer reviews on the WD (including the black) drives.

YES, you will find plenty of people saying they work great in their RAID, but you will also find a ton of people saying they have routine drop-outs in their RAID arrays. Many of these people have tried all the programs and firmware revisions to no joy. Thisis a known problem in the industry with WD drives. I will also add, one that WD does not seem to want to fix. Draw your own conclusions as to why.

The bottom line, if you got lucky, be happy. BUT! Unless you want to buy RE drives, you cannot buy WD drives and be assured they are going to work in your RAID array.

Let's see a show of hands. How many of you want to buy 4+ drives at $100-$150 each on the HOPE that they will work in your RAID array, instead of KNOW they will work in your RAID array? ---- That's what I thought.....

I am not saying buy RE drives either. I think the price premium you pay is way too high (read: rip-off). What I instead recommend is, buy other brand drives if your gonna do a RAID.
Phoenix32 is offline   Reply With Quote