View Single Post
Unread 09-19-2002, 02:19 PM   #20
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally posted by MeltMan
The regulation circuits on power-supplies (of reasonable quality) already have trim pots on all the positive outputs. All you need to do is tune them until the tolerance is matched, tie the + leads together and call it a day.

And yes, 300W+300W = 600W because you have to look at the definition of W. Watts are equal to Volts*Amps. To calculate wattage, you do this for every output and add em together.

Im back from the dead (braincells)
Welcome back!

Since I'm thinking about cheap PSUs, I guess it'll just be a chance I'll take.

I'm very clear on running the PSUs in parallel, and that 300W + 300W does indeed equal 600W. I'm writing an article on that too!

What I wasn't clear on, is the implications of running the PSUs in parallel.

1-OnDa got almost 13V when he did this. Why?

2-as I mentioned above: "The link in the article suggests using a power diode to prevent currents from flowing back into the PSUs, which is good, but it drops the output by 0.7 volts (as all diodes/junctions do), bringing down the 12 V line to 11.3. Still no good. "

I think it would solve the "dying PSU" in an array issue: "What'll happen, though, when one goes out, is it'll suddenly remove its resistance from the circuit. All of a sudden, that 10V circuit that you modded up to 12V will be running at 13V or so. If a PSU goes out, you're probably f*cked" (thanks airspirit)

I ain't done with this yet, but I'm getting closer!
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote