View Single Post
Unread 12-16-2005, 01:53 AM   #3
Salkcin
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: PA160 with 2x92mm and custom shroud?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska
The pressure rating of the fan (ie. how many CFM's at what pressure) not the fan size, determines how much air it will push in any given system. It is very po9ssible that the 120 mm fan will push more air through than will 2x92's. You have to look at the fan's specs to know.

If you are going to use the 2x92's why not make a shroud that covers the whole face of the rad?
Ahh, I had in mind to make a shroud that covers the whole radiator except for the barbs (fans sucking) and with a air-sealing between the shroud and radiator. I just didn't draw the shroud on the picture - only the size of the 92mm fans. I see now that I made the picture "confusing".

The fans are 92mm Enermax UC-9FAB - rated 1500-2500RPM and 28-47CFM. I found out that 1800-1900RPM are at the level of noise I can tolerate so calculating the airflow at 1800RPM it will be blowing 33,84CFM - a total of 67,68CFM with 2 of them. That's more than one 120mm @ 1300RPM can blow (~44CFM).
Enermax have a speciel RPM regulation (patented?) method that regulates the fans inner resistance so it's allways 12v. It should give a variable fan that allways have the best terms of overcoming air-resistance.

But my biggest concern is that the airflow through the radiator won't be balanced with 2x92mm fans since the radiator is so much wider than the fans. I think it will suck most air through the center of the radiator meaning that water passing through in the outer channels won't be cooled good enough.

Could a custom shroud with same design guideline as the original 120mm shroud (40% of the fan size from the radiator core) make the airflow about even through all of the fins?
Salkcin is offline   Reply With Quote