View Single Post
Unread 01-11-2008, 03:00 PM   #40
blue68f100
Thermophile

Default Re: Guardian OS units

You need to confirm that a RAID5 array does not exist. If so this info is saved on all HD's. The only way to remove it is to remove the array to release the space. Which you should beable to do it through storage gui. A raid 5 array on Guardian OS is writer across all drives, incase of failure. You do not want to erase them using a linux format. Format to a std pc FAT32, NTSF or use the quick erase utility that came with the drives. If it reconises the drive as being used it will not use it as a clean HD.

I have not seen how v2 OS looks like, I started on v4. Yes, Adaptec wants everyone on a service contract. But I thought you could buy the OS without a service contract $600?, could be wrong. Did you contact Sales or tech support?

There is NO FREE OS upgrades for the Guardian OS. You may find something on BT, but don't know. Since it is Copyrighted material, anything you find is illegal. This is one reason guardian OS units are expensive to maintain and mainly Corporations are the owners, deep pockets. If you plan on using it as a FTP server, there was a user that came through here awhile back that had his hacked and was forced to completly reload. The newer 4 version is more security minded.

You only need to keep one working HD to boot a Guardian unit, And preferable clean.

Link to SnapOS FAQ's http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13820
blue68f100 is offline   Reply With Quote