Thread: New daughter
View Single Post
Unread 02-20-2004, 10:21 PM   #27
Brians256
Pro/Staff

Well, the most likely possibilities are indeed aweful. But, I got my first sleep last night (hadn't been sleeping for about 4 days or maybe 5 days... can't remember), and I'm reminding myself that I should not focus on the bad. There is a chance, even if it is small, that Heather might survive and be mostly OK.

People in my church are great but about 70 minutes away (small church). So, for instance, the kids were with a church family for a couple of days but that meant that I didn't see them. I just spent time in a chair by Heather's bed. The friends even offered to help longer, but I know my kids need to see me too. I've had more offers for help than I ever suspected; Heather had a lot of friends and they aren't superficial like many people seem these days.

Thankfully, work is understanding, but even if they weren't, I have invoked the FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) which is a USA law that provides job safety for up to 12 weeks of leave in case of family medical emergency. I don't know how things will go, but I hope they stay understanding! This event and its consequences could go on for a long time.

Thank you so much for your thoughts, Derek. Right now, I just want Heather to be healthy and the way she was.
Brians256 is offline   Reply With Quote