View Single Post
Unread 03-28-2010, 08:00 PM   #2
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Default Re: A Case for SATA on 4400/4200/4500

STORAGE NEEDS

I could go clear back to the days of 2GB drives, but I think you will get the idea with just the very near past.

It was not very long ago when 1TB was considered a mass amount of data and would easily be “enough” for anyone, right? If you had 4 x 250GB, surely it would be enough, and you were on the top of the game. When I said not very long ago, think about it. This really was a very short time ago.

Enter much larger programs, larger hard disks in your desktops and notebooks needing backed up, and last but very far from least, huge amounts of data in the form of multimedia. New methods for backing up all your computers, new methods for storing your movies, music, photos, and new methods for streaming all this stuff throughout your home or office.

FACT! We have had a huge data explosion the last couple of years. And the word explosion may be a very severe understatement.

With all of this, a central location (or locations) to put all this data is becoming more and more important and cost effective. There are many way to do this, which I will discuss in brief a little later in this, but just suffice it to say, if you are reading this, you are probably one of the people trying to figure out where to put all this data. If not, then this may be a waste for you, at least for now.
Phoenix32 is offline   Reply With Quote