Go Back   Pro/Forums > Site News and Blogs > Pro/Site News
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Pro/Site News The News you see on the front page, but in the forums... Uhh or something like that.

Unread 06-07-2011, 12:38 PM   #1
Joe
The Pro/Life Support System

Default End the Spam

So... because I dont want this site to just become a dumping ground for more spam on the web. I am taking some drastic steps.

1. New Users will ONLY be able to post after a 7 day waiting period in the Newbie Corral.

2. If that doesnt work, then new user registration on the forums will be disabled or moderated.

Not like there is much going on here, so I dont see why the **** people are spamming the forums!?

ProCooling archive curator and dusty skeleton.

Last edited by Joe; 06-07-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Default Re: End the Spam

Just a random target. I used to get the same with the WBTA website.

I think hackers (kiddie scripters) are getting their sources by googling for the forum software name. There's tons of results from that alone.

(BTW, hello!)
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2011, 02:23 PM   #3
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Sounds good.

Ben? What ya been up to?
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 12:30 PM   #4
ben333
Uber Pro/Mods

Sounds good I guess I'd suggest you require moderator approval before new users can post but I don't even have the Internet at my place now.
Unread 08-24-2011, 06:27 PM   #5
Siana
Cooling Neophyte

What options do i have if i don't want to wait for a week? I think my thoughts might dissipate if i have to wait this long.
Siana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2011, 06:25 PM   #6
SaFeHeX
Cooling Neophyte

Hi folks,

I'm a fairly new member here and i think this is probably my first post.

I can appreciate your spam problems because i've faced the same issues myself on another unrelated board that i Mod.

Obviously being new here it's not my place to comment as such, but you may find that it's not just new accounts that you have problems with.

I'm not entirely sure if it's a spammer or not, but last week i received a PM from someone with no posts here at all.

If if this had been the board that i moderate and not just one i was a member of, i would have this particular member pegged for a spammer right away by the style of the message i received, but as i'm new here with no abilities to look up IP addys and other details then i'm not so sure and it could be just someone trying to be friendly.

I haven't looked too deep into all areas of your forums yet because i mainly signed up here for the Snap forums.

Do you guys have some forum area or somewhere that members can report potential spammers maybe?

Also if you guys want the name or account ID of my suspected PM spammer just gimme a shout and i'll happily send you a link to the profile. (The account was created March 2010)

There is a forum out there called stopforumspam (dot com? IIRC) that has lists of known IP addresses that a lot of spammers have used which you may find usefull to check out some of the IP addresses of suspected spammers.

Anyhow guys, goodluck with the spam fighting and try and consider us noobs in the process as i'm sure not all of us noobs are here to do any harm.

It's a tough job at times, i can say first hand!

Cheers to you all and goodluck.
SaFeHeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2011, 07:56 AM   #7
Natethegreatess
Cooling Neophyte

ya f spam
Natethegreatess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2011, 10:50 PM   #8
ben333
Uber Pro/Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaFeHeX View Post
Do you guys have some forum area or somewhere that members can report potential spammers maybe?

Also if you guys want the name or account ID of my suspected PM spammer just gimme a shout and i'll happily send you a link to the profile. (The account was created March 2010)
It seems to me like spammers are usually a one shot thing. They might strike a couple days in a row, but it'll end. So your info is now irrelevant, but for future notice, someone who is CLEARLY a spammer and nothing but that may be publicly stated in this thread or anywhere. A PM to me is also fine, for that and all other issues.