Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 06-29-2004, 06:20 PM   #1
Stang_Man
Cooling Neophyte

Default Anyone interested in T-Line caps?

you know, for the guys who have T-line systems, would you like a nice piece to cap your system?

i'm gonna machine probably 50 caps outta aluminum designed for 1/2" ID tubing.

if anyone has suggestions let me know before i go machine them.
Stang_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2004, 11:49 PM   #2
killernoodle
Thermophile

Anodize them, but I dont think you can sell them unless you make them REALLY cool looking.
Unread 06-29-2004, 11:56 PM   #3
mikehotel
Cooling Neophyte

How about a 3/8 ID 1/2 OD cap? I'd buy one with or without the anodize -MKH
mikehotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2004, 01:20 AM   #4
Titan151
Cooling Savant

Perhaps you could rig one up with a hole for a thermistor. Then you could sell them with the thermistor installed. I have one that I made up buy filling a standard barb with epoxy and then ran the thermistor wire through the center. Of course it looks kinda cheese.
2 Gigs Corsair 3200
7800 GTX
Titan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2004, 05:44 AM   #5
Stang_Man
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan151
Perhaps you could rig one up with a hole for a thermistor. Then you could sell them with the thermistor installed. I have one that I made up buy filling a standard barb with epoxy and then ran the thermistor wire through the center. Of course it looks kinda cheese.
and how would you seal it?
Unread 06-30-2004, 03:22 PM   #6
Titan151
Cooling Savant

Hmmm,

Well I supose you could put in some kind of gasket that the wire would fit into. I find that epoxy works fine. I think the thing about making them is that there is so many things out there that will make for a cap. So I am not sure that there would be too much demand for something like this. I saw on some post this guy was using a double A battery for a plug! lol

One thing that would get people interested is to make one with a built in thermometer. Perhaps a small LCD that displays the temp from a sensor that will fit down the tube. I know fry's sells some cheap temp equipment that could be modified into something like this. If you can do this and make it look cool, I will be your first customer. heh, provided they are cheap!
2 Gigs Corsair 3200
7800 GTX
Titan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2004, 03:39 PM   #7
Stang_Man
Cooling Neophyte

i'm gonna make some normal ones outta aluminum without a sensor. i may experiment with a few and see what i can do about adding one in, but i dont' know. sealing it is gonna be tough. i want this thing to seal off any T-line 1/2" ID setup and not have any problems.

sure people are using double a batteries and corks and stuff... but there are people out there that are looking for something that looks great, and I guarantee you, these pieces will be top notch quality. You know those python grips that are hose connectors that people use? those are a good 25 bucks a pair, people buy them like, and the quality of my T-line caps will be perfect to match them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan151
Hmmm,

Well I supose you could put in some kind of gasket that the wire would fit into. I find that epoxy works fine. I think the thing about making them is that there is so many things out there that will make for a cap. So I am not sure that there would be too much demand for something like this. I saw on some post this guy was using a double A battery for a plug! lol

One thing that would get people interested is to make one with a built in thermometer. Perhaps a small LCD that displays the temp from a sensor that will fit down the tube. I know fry's sells some cheap temp equipment that could be modified into something like this. If you can do this and make it look cool, I will be your first customer. heh, provided they are cheap!
that is gonna drive up the cost insanely.

i would sell them for 8 dollars shipped. I think for that price, it's worth it.

Last edited by Stang_Man; 07-01-2004 at 07:58 PM.
Unread 06-30-2004, 05:23 PM   #8
greenman100
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang_Man
i'm gonna make some normal ones outta aluminum without a sensor. i may experiment with a few and see what i can do about adding one in, but i dont' know. sealing it is gonna be tough. i want this thing to seal off any T-line 1/2" ID setup and not have any problems.

sure people are using double a batteries and corks and stuff... but there are people out there that are looking for something that looks great, and I guarantee you, these pieces will be top notch quality. You know those python grips that are hose connectors that people use? those are a good 25 bucks a pair, people buy them like, and the quality of my T-line caps will be perfect to match them.

that is gonna drive up the cost insanely.

i would sell them for 8 dollars shipped. I think for that price, it's worth it.
better anodize that stuff
greenman100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2004, 06:23 PM   #9
Jigglypuff
Cooling Neophyte

I'd definitely be interested, even if it isn't anondized. I'd have to see a picture of it first though.
Jigglypuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2004, 07:54 PM   #10
Stang_Man
Cooling Neophyte

k, i'm gonna have a prototype within a week or two, so stay tuned.
Unread 07-01-2004, 07:57 PM   #11
Stang_Man
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman100
better anodize that stuff
anodization is NOT cheap.
Unread 07-09-2004, 08:05 AM   #12
Chewbacca
Cooling Neophyte

you shouldnt need to anodize them. No-one fills up a T-Line all the way, so corrosion wont be much of an issue.

and as mentioned Anodization is far from cost effective. It would triple the price.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2004, 01:12 PM   #13
greenman100
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca
you shouldnt need to anodize them. No-one fills up a T-Line all the way, so corrosion wont be much of an issue.

and as mentioned Anodization is far from cost effective. It would triple the price.

high concentration of vapor/droplets?

copper coils on an air conditioner must be replaced 3x more often on the beahc, compared to inland.
greenman100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2004, 01:48 PM   #14
HighFlowRod
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca

Not necessarily. The last time some of my friends anodized some aluminum all it took was some acid (sulfuric, I think), battery charger, container, and some ice.
GeForce 3 Ti200
40GB Maxtor HD
WB (DIY): Dual Spiral
HeatX: D-Tek Cooler Core
Pump: ViaAqua 1300
Hoses: Tygon
Idle: 24-26 C
Load: 29-30 C
HighFlowRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2004, 04:55 PM   #15
iroc409
Cooling Savant

yeah, but if you're commercializing and selling something, not sure people want to buy things that have been anodized with a bucket of ice...
Unread 07-09-2004, 06:23 PM   #16
Stang_Man
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlowRod
Not necessarily. The last time some of my friends anodized some aluminum all it took was some acid (sulfuric, I think), battery charger, container, and some ice.
if someone wants to anodize their cap, they could do that themselves.

IF i see a large demand on these (i only have ~50, so anodization is outta the question), and i start another order, a large one, i will get half of them anodized a color that is most popular based on polls across several forums.
Unread 07-09-2004, 06:42 PM   #17
mikehotel
Cooling Neophyte

I had the same problem he is trying to fix with the caps, here is what I did, since I wanted the shuttle to water tight and mobile, I didn't want to leave it open and seepable. I initially had used a scrap piece of tube that I filled with hot glue to make it water tight….not the best fix. I used the same type of deal with some 2 part epoxy, and it was water tight, but looked like ass. Here is my fix, I got a red anodized thumb screw from Frozen CPU that had no threads on it… So it went into my mega parts bin, I was poking around today and had a light bulb moment, it has the perfect shape to plug a 10 mm/3/8ths tube, it even has a perfect lip to accept a zip tie. Here is how it looks, tonight:

The zip tie isn't really needed, but I love overkill. The tube is locked into the groove, underneath and air tight, as shown by the condensation, from the fluid traped in the ball joint of the valve -MKH
mikehotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2004, 07:59 PM   #18
Stang_Man
Cooling Neophyte

caps are done, pics will be posted soon !!!
Unread 07-13-2004, 09:05 PM   #19
Stang_Man
Cooling Neophyte

here's a pic
Unread 07-13-2004, 09:13 PM   #20
Stang_Man
Cooling Neophyte

here's the thread to where i'm selling them:

http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/sho...012#post116012
Unread 07-13-2004, 10:19 PM   #21
Jigglypuff
Cooling Neophyte

Hmm. Do you think you could take one and cut the top off so it has a flat top instead of a domed top?
Jigglypuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2004, 10:25 PM   #22
ToddTheFrog
Cooling Neophyte

what did you make those on?

Todd
ToddTheFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2004, 05:47 AM   #23
Stang_Man
Cooling Neophyte

A CNC Mazak Quickturn 20, Quckturn 6T, and then finally touched up on a Hardinge.

Jigglypuff, would there be a reason why to shave the dome off?
Unread 07-14-2004, 07:19 AM   #24
funbun
Cooling Neophyte

Dude, why not just makem out of brass. That way you won't have to worry about corrosion or anodizing.

WATER COOLING:
DangerDen Maze 4 CPU waterblock | Hydor L20 waterpump |Homemade reservior | Heater core|

biketour.blogspot.com
funbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2004, 04:52 PM   #25
JFettig
Cooling Savant

I thought about doing this too man I actually made one for someone. one thing you shoudl do is knurl them so you can actually get them off

Jon
JFettig is offline   Reply With Quote