Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 05-29-2007, 07:34 PM   #1
varthani
Cooling Neophyte

Default Waterblock analysis using Fluent

I have to design and analyze a waterblock using Fluent as part of my project ...I thought of designing it using Pro-E as Im familiar with the software and later analyze it using Fluent..However some of my friends suggested that I design it in Gambit itself...Can anyone please guide me on how to proceed..Thank You
varthani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2007, 06:49 AM   #2
bobo5195
Cooling Savant

Default Re: Waterblock analysis using Fluent

It is generally always better to build the geometry in the program to prevent things going wrong. But designing it first in PRO E would be easier.

Jet impingement (storm style) blocks are an active area of CFD research as they are very difficult to model correctly. So on one hand it might bit hard to do on the other there is loads of good stuff to write if you are googling for papers and you could easily write something post doc level. Most people use axisysmetric models in this area.

Standard waterblocks will be fine to models as broadly speaking the temperature and flow fields are decoupled. Avoid natural convection as the variable density term links the two and can lead to numerical instability or things being hard to solve.

It might be easier to model a pump with a rotating reference frame COSMOS uses this as an example so it is likely to be a good problem to model.
bobo5195 is offline   Reply With Quote