Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 05-16-2003, 10:58 AM   #1
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Default Finding a job

Has anyone tried to find a job, using all the on-line tools available? (Monster.com, etc...)

My contract just ended, so I'm actively searching for work. I've setup a database with more than 90 links, and I've got my resume up on at least 30 different sites.

Am I wasting my time? Is a door-to-door approach better/ more effective? Is cold calling, using a phone book, going to work any better?
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2003, 11:15 AM   #2
iroc409
Cooling Savant

in my part of the country jobs are hard right now. i've used the online stuff before, not with much luck. did not however use monster. i think you have to have a more impressive resume than i had 2.5 years ago when i used them. and, that was a long time ago. but, i was not impressed. i would be more inclined to use something like dice.com to seek the employer out, and try that avenue instead.
Unread 05-16-2003, 12:44 PM   #3
g.l.amour
Cooling Savant

i think i can say i have tried/tested all methods:
1) response to an open position (newspaper ad)
haven't had much luck there
2) online add
warmer, warmer
3) spontaneous application (look at the yellow pages (e.g.) and send a cv to all the firms that you think you could/liketo work at)
i have made this my main method

=> spontaneous has always got me the most feedback, and once you got 'first contact', the path to succes has already been paved half way. you got the advantage that they aren't already looking at dozens of CV's +/- like yours. and for alot of personel directors/directors, the spontaneous application speaks for you, for being a guy that makes his own opportunity.
Unread 05-16-2003, 04:41 PM   #4
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

You have to walk into a place and press flesh. Someone who actually bothers to show his face will be considered before an internet coward every day of the week. Whenever I have ever needed work it would take me less than a week to find a good job ... you just have to put in effort rather than expecting them to come to you via self-promotion online or through ads.
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2003, 08:14 PM   #5
mashie
Cooling Savant

Use connections if you have any, it's the only thing that has been working successfully for me so far.
Unread 05-16-2003, 10:05 PM   #6
winewood
Cooling Savant

I looked for months, but it was actually getting into the doors and meeting contacts that won in the long run. I signed up for a temp job. I told them what company and what location to staff me. Once in there, I made friends with certain groups.
If you can temp for the HR department, you can have a view of what places are the best, pay structure, and scalablity. Great way to find where you want to be.
Unread 05-16-2003, 10:15 PM   #7
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

I get all my jobs based upon being part of the "white male old boy's network" YMMV
pHaestus is offline   Reply With Quote