Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 01-27-2004, 08:45 PM   #1
Zogthetroll
Cooling Savant

Default GPU block top materials question

Ok, the pic below is a rough idea (not really to scale, but close) of what i'd like to build for my video card, although i'd probably make it a bit more free-flowing than what is shown. my question though, is more about material types. i followed the thread recently about using delrin for block tops (cool stuff btw, i've used it at my old job) and when i realized that i could get thick enough stuff at mcmaster-carr to do the top i was thinking of, i started looking around on their site some more. now delrin would obviously work, but i was looking at cast acrylic which is both a good bit cheaper than delrin, and clear (not a big concern, but a factor). i've worked with both lexan and generic plexiglass before and was trying to figure out which one of those cast acrylic would be, or be closer too at least. i figure if i have to drill & tap the top like below, i don't want something that's gonna shatter on me easily. the second thought that i had was this, since i'm really more concerned with quiet cooling instead of overclocking the crap out of my hardware, should i even bother watercooling my gpu? I've got a GeForce4 MX420, 64mg. decent little card, but just putting my fingers on it, the onboard ram seems about as warm as either the crappy stock heatsink or the back of the proc. anybody just slapped an old P1 heatsink on one of these and had a fan in the general vicinity? sorta passively cooled. just figured i'd throw that out there for you guys. appreciate your thoughts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gpu.jpg (26.4 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by Zogthetroll; 01-27-2004 at 08:50 PM.
Zogthetroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2004, 09:36 PM   #2
killernoodle
Thermophile

It would be a waste of time to watercool a GF4 MX, or even to go beyond stock cooling.

As for the top material, I have used acrylic many times, all have resulted in a large crack of some kind. It may be because I was using thinner stuff than what you are doing, or I was putting too much pressure on it or something, but I am just tired of it. Plus, I have an ALU topped WW now so I want to have all the blocks black on top, and delrin is supposed to be resistant to cracking.

Ebay is a great place to find the stuff you need. I am ordering 4 large .75" thick blocks of delrin for $5 right now, so that is a very good deal.
Unread 01-28-2004, 08:06 AM   #3
Zogthetroll
Cooling Savant

yeah, that's what i was afraid of with the cast acrylic. so any thoughts on passively cooling the vid. card? i figure ramsinks would be probably just as useful but not really needed. With the heat output on that thing would simply puting a large heatsink on there be enough? i can barely feel any air moving off of the pos stock fan there now. the pic below is one i've got on hand from an old packard-bell. its about 2.75"x2"x .75"tall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ramsink01.jpg (31.1 KB, 17 views)
Unread 01-28-2004, 08:57 AM   #4
killernoodle
Thermophile

That one should work fine. Dont waste money trying to make that card better, save it for a better card.
Unread 01-28-2004, 04:34 PM   #5
Zogthetroll
Cooling Savant

LOL, that was kinda my general thought. as far as changing the stock cooling, it'd only be to get rid of another fan, however it happens.