Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 04-11-2004, 04:22 PM   #1
DeadEye
Cooling Neophyte

Default Watercooling a Shuttle

Hi all, I am new here and totally amazed at the technical level you guys are working at.
Now for my problem, I am totally new to water cooling and trying to do it in an SFF machine brings slightly different problems, which I hope you guys can answer. I want to keep everything internal and looking to keep temps down rather than ultra quiet.

Due to space restriction a very small pump is required to fit. The AquariusII kit is what I was thinking of starting with. The pump spec is:
Water Pressure: 1.2 kg/cm2
Pump Speed: 90 L/hr

Obviously this is quite low. Being a machinist by trade with full workshop facilities including CNC, what design of water block would you propose for a system with low flow rate, that I could either buy or make that would make the best use of this.
Otherwise could you recommend a very small pump that would be a better starting point.
Thanks in advance, guys.
DeadEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2004, 05:35 PM   #2
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

First a little conversion...

1.2 kg/cm^2 = 12 meters of water, or 39 feet H2O.
Pump speed (flow actually): 90L/h = 24 gph = 0.4 gpm

(Thanks to http://www.convert-me.com )

That's quite a pump!

The pressure is way above what we normally use, usually coming from a magnetic drive pump. Are you sure about those figures?

Othewrwise, I'd refer you to the #Rotor water block (search here): perfect for you, unless you want to get into some fancier CNC work.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2004, 05:46 PM   #3
Butcher
Thermophile

They're what thermaltake quote but they do seems somewhat overstated for a 2W pump.
Unread 04-12-2004, 12:37 AM   #4
dima y
Cooling Savant

ummmm somehow i just dont belive that they mesuared too accuratly
dima y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2004, 03:00 PM   #5
davidzo
Cooling Savant

In germany we just had a case Modding Contest sponsored from shuttle. Most of the mods were of course watercooled. maybe you can get some inspirations from there: http://213.221.104.186/pcmax/forum/p...tegory=CaseMod

here is the link to the forum: http://213.221.104.186/pcmax/forum/s...threadid=12458

another german watercooled shuttle (it semms that it is pretty "in" today to cool mod a shuttle): http://213.221.104.186/pcmax/forum/s...threadid=13524

CPU, VPU and nbcooling is no problem for a shuttle. the bigest problem is the radiator. the aquarius2 rad is not able to reach performance levels like a Thermalright slk or sp cooler, because it is simply too small and has not enough surface, not dependend on the quality of cpublock and pump.
also a dual80 radiator is still worse than a good heattransformer 2 single 120mm rad.

I attached a few nice pics of the modded and watercooled shuttles.
Just some informations: The shuttle in the first pic has watercooled following components with selfmade copper/acryl blocks: Processor, Graphics card, Graphics card RAM, graphics card voltage regulators, northbridge, voltage regulators of the board, southbridge, ddrram, power supply

The pics are property of pcmax and crazyD (first 2) and Overclocker (3rd pic), just to mention it.

I hope i could help an give you some inspirations with these links
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crazyd.jpg (32.8 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg crazyd2.jpg (23.6 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg overclocker1.jpg (32.0 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by davidzo; 04-13-2004 at 04:00 PM.
davidzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2004, 04:29 PM   #6
buzzby
Cooling Neophyte

I was in Halfords (car spares and stuff in the UK) and i saw a load of small pumps that operate the washer jets on cars. They are really small and operate on 12V. i have no idea on there outputs but it could be worth and experiment, although they may be a bit load.

Buzz
buzzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2004, 04:42 PM   #7
pdf27
Cooling Savant

Probably won't handle continuous use without wearing out...
Unread 04-16-2004, 07:55 PM   #8
Butcher
Thermophile

Washer pumps aren't usually rated for 100% duty cycle, I'd go with a small aquarium pump of some sort.