Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 05-12-2004, 03:15 PM   #1
arken420
Cooling Neophyte

Default Pony 12V DC Pump

Just found this, pump, while surfing. Don't know that much about it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 109735_lg.jpg (10.4 KB, 24 views)
arken420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2004, 03:21 PM   #2
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Seriously doubt it's rated for continuous duty
Unread 05-12-2004, 04:37 PM   #3
killernoodle
Thermophile

There is another 12v pump which utilizes a diaphram design. It claims 60psi out of the outlet with 1.8gph max pumping. Would this be good for computer use? Apparently it is quiet as well.http://amos2.catalogcity.com/amos/cc...630121/ccsyn/1
Unread 05-12-2004, 08:38 PM   #4
pauldenton
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by killernoodle
There is another 12v pump which utilizes a diaphram design. It claims 60psi out of the outlet with 1.8gph max pumping. Would this be good for computer use? Apparently it is quiet as well.http://amos2.catalogcity.com/amos/cc...630121/ccsyn/1
1.8gph is a wee bit low for decent temps...

hmm guess this thread title is proof that rhyming slang doesn't cross the pond....
pauldenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2004, 09:23 PM   #5
Cathar
Thermophile

None of the Shurflo diaphragm pumps are rated for more than 500-1000hrs of use. I phoned Shurflo headquarters and spoke to one of the engineers. While the motors may be continuously rated on some of the higher end pump models but the diaphragm material apparantly will degrade and leak sometime between 500-1000hrs of use.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2004, 10:07 PM   #6
arken420
Cooling Neophyte

I don't know if it's a ShurFlo or not, but I'll waste 50 bucks on it and see what it does after a couple of weeks...
Unread 05-13-2004, 04:21 AM   #7
jlrii
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by arken420
Just found this, pump, while surfing. Don't know that much about it.
Not sure but I think those have a rubber impeller that actually contacts the sides of the housing. It is positive displacement in a sence and works like a rotary vane pump. They have really good suction, are self priming andlots o' head. Unfortunatly they are screaming loud and, due to the design of the impeller, wear out rapidly. The one I had was a brushed motor (replaceable brushes) and was used to transfer water, glycol etc. back when I did air con service. The directions advised adding a few drops of lubricant to the inlet b4 starting to make the impeller last longer. NG for w/c tho'.
jlrii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2004, 06:51 AM   #8
cougem
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldenton
1.8gph is a wee bit low for decent temps...

hmm guess this thread title is proof that rhyming slang doesn't cross the pond....
That's GPM not GPH, jesus 1.8 GPH would be a bit low!
cougem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2004, 09:56 AM   #9
arken420
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrii
Not sure but I think those have a rubber impeller that actually contacts the sides of the housing. It is positive displacement in a sence and works like a rotary vane pump. They have really good suction, are self priming andlots o' head. Unfortunatly they are screaming loud and, due to the design of the impeller, wear out rapidly. The one I had was a brushed motor (replaceable brushes) and was used to transfer water, glycol etc. back when I did air con service. The directions advised adding a few drops of lubricant to the inlet b4 starting to make the impeller last longer. NG for w/c tho'.

Oh, well. Guess I'll just have to drop 80~ for the dangerden model...
Unread 05-13-2004, 10:37 AM   #10
kronchev
Cooling Savant

what is with everyone and 12v pumps? ive heard nothing but bad things from them, they draw way too much current to be on your current PSU (hell that one draws 8-10!), and its not hugely difficult to have another small power cable coming out the back of your computer.

my danner mag 3 comes in today, with 2 day shipping, it was 50. cheaper, faster, better, why not?
Unread 05-13-2004, 05:40 PM   #11
pauldenton
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronchev
my danner mag 3 comes in today, with 2 day shipping, it was 50. cheaper, faster, better, why not?
err ... because some of us have to live with 230V/50hz power
pauldenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2004, 06:09 PM   #12
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronchev
what is with everyone and 12v pumps? ive heard nothing but bad things from them, they draw way too much current to be on your current PSU (hell that one draws 8-10!), and its not hugely difficult to have another small power cable coming out the back of your computer.
Surely you jest.

The MCP600 draws around 1.0A at 12V
The Laing D4 draws around 1.6A at 12V

Both amperages are considerably lower than anything that will overload a PSU.

DC pumps are typically more efficient than their AC counterparts. The MCP600 is drawing 12W, while out-perfoming at 28W Eheim 1250. The Laing D4 draws 19W while outperforming the 31W Iwaki MD15-R.

DC pumps can be easily over-volted as well.

The Laing D4 and the (fixed) MCP600 do not have any issues that I'm aware of.

12v pumps don't care which voltage/hz your country's wall voltage is at. You can buy one and it will always work where you live.

12v pumps rock.
Unread 05-13-2004, 09:11 PM   #13
|kbn|
Cooling Savant

kronchev meant 8-10w not amps I think?

Cathar you tested a d4 at lots of differnent speeds iirc? was it the bearings/motor that made the pump niosy at 20v+?

12v pumps arnt ideal, they are better than mains pumps though, becuase the higher current used (and lower voltage) gives more torque to the motor, giving better head, i think?
A pump using about 15v three phase AC at about 360hz, and with more poles (AC motor speed is freq divided by no. of poles iirc, voltage wont affect it) would probably be the best, but youd also need a dc-3phase converter built in - running it form the 12v of a psu is very usefull though..
^ this would give a much smoother turning of the motor resulting in less niose from bearings, which also should last longer.. while still keeping high current for more torque. doubt any company will make them though... (not at and affordable price anyway)
|kbn| is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2004, 09:26 PM   #14
jlrii
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by |kbn|
kronchev meant 8-10w not amps I think?

Cathar you tested a d4 at lots of differnent speeds iirc? was it the bearings/motor that made the pump niosy at 20v+?

12v pumps arnt ideal, they are better than mains pumps though, becuase the higher current used (and lower voltage) gives more torque to the motor, giving better head, i think?
A pump using about 15v three phase AC at about 360hz, and with more poles (AC motor speed is freq divided by no. of poles iirc, voltage wont affect it) would probably be the best, but youd also need a dc-3phase converter built in - running it form the 12v of a psu is very usefull though..
^ this would give a much smoother turning of the motor resulting in less niose from bearings, which also should last longer.. while still keeping high current for more torque. doubt any company will make them though... (not at and affordable price anyway)

The noise is sort of a buzz. It is caused by the square wave used to drive the pump.
jlrii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2004, 11:53 PM   #15
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrii
The noise is sort of a buzz. It is caused by the square wave used to drive the pump.
Yeah, it's a square-wave sounding whine. Significantly drops off in volume below about 10v, and significantly noisier at 13v+.

I suspect that it's caused by some sort of interaction between the bearing and the impellor as the magnetic fields flip very suddenly causing whatever vibrations that would cause and creating the sound.

The bearing (the D4 has just one and only one bearing) on the D4 is of a high quality ceramic, and not something that is likely to wear out very quickly, even moreso due to the nature of the design of the D4. It truly is an elegant design. Noise aside, I would have to say it is the single most impressively designed centrifugal pump out there.

I mean, at 16v it's drawing on the order of 30W or so, and performing as well as my 50Hz Iwaki MD30-RZ. The D4 is clearly built to a budget price-point though in terms of the motor body. I would gladly pay 1.5x as much for one that used the same design, ran like a D4 @ 18V (~35W - basically performing like a 50Hz Iwaki MD-40RZ which draws 110W), and used sufficient body mass to quell the noise. That would be my dream pump.