Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 05-14-2004, 06:43 PM   #1
joesgarage11
Cooling Neophyte

Default Ruined GPU Block Base

I'm working on a GPU waterblock for my ATI 9600 Pro and had some trouble milling slots in it. It's 3/16"(4.8mm) thick copper bar cut to 1-3/4"(44.5mm) square not including the mounting tabs. In the picture, it's not cut to final size.

I cut 1/8"(3.2mm) x 1/8" deep with a two-flute end mill on a very large vertical mill at about 3000 rpm. I figured a high speed would avoid snapping the end mill as I had to hand feed the cut. The cuts sounded and felt good while doing them and I kept them lubricated with a generous application of cutting oil from a flux brush.

When I tried to clean the block, all the slots were full of copper shavings that feel like they're welded to the sides of the slots and welded to each other. The clear slots are the ones I went back and milled in the opposite direction, but the 1/16"(1.6mm) material left between the slots just bent over.

What did I do wrong?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg badgpubase.jpg (50.6 KB, 79 views)
Unread 05-14-2004, 07:01 PM   #2
JFettig
Cooling Savant

It looks like you took the full 1/8" pass with one pass. Thats definately something you do not want to do, You want to take 1/2*diameter of the end mill for depth at the very most, but less is always safer. I once took .2" in one pass on a bridgeport with a 1/8" carbide and I took quite a bit out till it snapped.

Copper is gummy like that, keep the coolant flowing, I typically use 10w30 engine oil or another good kind of lube, Kerosean is also good for copper.

Jon
JFettig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2004, 08:13 PM   #3
joesgarage11
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
It looks like you took the full 1/8" pass with one pass.
Yup, that's what I did. I thought it would work. :shrug: I've had second thoughts on the design and might try doing something like it with a slitting saw instead of the end mill.

Thanks, Jon
Unread 05-15-2004, 07:44 AM   #4
SlaterSpeed
Cooling Savant

Yeh it looks to me like its just getting too hot. Try using alot more coolent (kerosean or WD40 works the best for copper). Make sure you flush the swarf away from the slots regualy and try takeing smaller cuts.

A slitting saw is attualy easyer to use in copper than end mills, if you have the right equipment that is

Oh and make sure the cutter is sharp!

'Liquified'
SlaterSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote