Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 07-17-2004, 01:40 PM   #1
Myth
Cooling Neophyte

Default G-Codes for CNC bench

Hi all

I know this post is a bit optimistic ;-) but i recently gained access to use a CNC bench and know a guy who can work it.. therefore i was wondering if anyone would share the G-codes for their block designs.. (since most show detailed pictures anyway)
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2004, 06:20 PM   #2
JFettig
Cooling Savant

Im not thinking theres more than Jaydee and I that have G-code for blocks, maybe JD would share his lumpy block because it seems that he is giving away info on it. If you need help writing the G-code for YOUR OWN design I can assist you in that.

Jon
JFettig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2004, 06:25 PM   #3
Myth
Cooling Neophyte

That would be great too, since CAD is a bit more simple then the coding part is when you newer tried it before. I'll whip something together at pm u, then we can talk!
Unread 07-18-2004, 05:05 PM   #4
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

My G-Code is usless to any other mill.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2004, 06:27 AM   #5
Myth
Cooling Neophyte

I had the impression that G-codes were the same on all mills? damn, then perhaps getting someone to help me is going to be difficult..
Unread 07-19-2004, 09:26 AM   #6
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
I had the impression that G-codes were the same on all mills? damn, then perhaps getting someone to help me is going to be difficult..
Not really. It is usually controller spacific. Sometimes it is transferable between some mills and sometimes your mill will simply not work right with some.

Main problem with mine it is isn't setup like a real mill would do it. My mill also doesn't support a lot of the codes bigger mills do. Also my code is 2D and of the tool paths only which would probably confuse the mill. Not to mention I got several sets of code to finish a base. 1 for each size of endmill and drill bit, one for each size of hole, one for each size of channel, ect.... G-Code on a real mill that will all be in one set and the machine will stop when a new tool is needed and you will change tools and hit go or if it has a ATC it will automatically change tools and carry on.

Better off figuring out your mill and if it has CAM software use it to do the G-Code.
Unread 07-19-2004, 09:48 AM   #7
Myth
Cooling Neophyte

Thanks

Guess there are no shortcuts :-) I finally got access to a mill, so now i just have to learn how to use it, and draw my design so i can be done :-) Well now i know what to use those hot summer nights doing :-)

Perhaps i should start with trying an easier design, and not my original idea:
http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/sho...stpage&t=10049
Unread 07-19-2004, 12:38 PM   #8
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
Thanks

Guess there are no shortcuts :-) I finally got access to a mill, so now i just have to learn how to use it, and draw my design so i can be done :-) Well now i know what to use those hot summer nights doing :-)

Perhaps i should start with trying an easier design, and not my original idea:
http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/sho...stpage&t=10049
That desing should be changed. Not going to work to efficently as is. Good idea just needs some modification.
Unread 07-19-2004, 05:23 PM   #9
tex707
Cooling Savant

OK, attached please find two G-code files...they are far from perfect, but could be used after some modifications. Just find out whether the machine you have access to is going to "swallow" them or not.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Temp.zip (22.9 KB, 23 views)
tex707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2004, 01:48 AM   #10
Myth
Cooling Neophyte

Thanx tex, will try'em out as soon as possible!
Unread 07-20-2004, 04:39 PM   #11
JFettig
Cooling Savant

wait up, you cant just pop them into the machine like that, especially with the feeds that high

30,40,80IPM are most likely 5x too high, I didnt really look at the code too much, Ill open it in a better viewer. but still, you need something for the machine, you would probably be best off bringing a drawing to a machinist running the mill, either that or tell us what mill it is and stuff.

Jon
Unread 07-20-2004, 04:53 PM   #12
Myth
Cooling Neophyte

Okay.. I'm trying hard to do a drawing i an older autocad version i found at work, and this time using correct sizes. Hopefully i can get someone to help me using the mill :-) Damn an i thought getting the idea was the hard part :-)
Unread 07-20-2004, 04:56 PM   #13
tex707
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFettig
wait up, you cant just pop them into the machine like that, especially with the feeds that high

30,40,80IPM are most likely 5x too high, I didnt really look at the code too much, Ill open it in a better viewer. but still, you need something for the machine, you would probably be best off bringing a drawing to a machinist running the mill, either that or tell us what mill it is and stuff.

Jon
Yes, he can...as I've said the code is not OK, it needs modifications, all I want to know is whether the machine is capable to accept G-code like this one or not...if it does, a simulation could be run without any problems. I did not tell him to try to MACHINE the part with this code.

BTW, a code very similar was used for machining of a few blocks...picture attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WB.jpg (66.5 KB, 69 views)
Unread 07-20-2004, 08:29 PM   #14
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Nice block. I tried the code on my controller and it just gave an error message. Knew it wouldn't work on it though.
Unread 07-20-2004, 10:19 PM   #15
JFettig
Cooling Savant

lol
those blocks do look good. I think some of the feeds and stuff might be too high for most machines, my machine doesnt even move as fast as I saw the fastest speed

The code you have is very long, possibly longer than it needs to be, and those files shoudl be *.nc most likely, but if not its still usually possible to load. I didnt load the code into the simulator because I wanted to get back to machining some stuff of my own.

If he was gonna use the code, yeah, it would probably have to be modified, also the specs of what size metal and how its all set up would have to be known too.

Jon
Unread 07-21-2004, 02:00 AM   #16
tex707
Cooling Savant

I've just done some checking...I'm not absolutely sure, but it looks like the G-codes that I've attached are the very same ones used for machining the blocks on the picture. The machine used is capable of 7500 RPM on spindle and F20 or F40 feedrates are no problem for larger endmills. For a 0.75" endmill a feedrate of less than F3 was used, though machinist managed to make one O-ring groove with F10 feedrate and 6000RPM without breaking the tool.

The program looks long, but it has to be...there are a lot of passes needed for a 0'75" flat endmill. It has no extension, but it does not need one.

It looks like there is no need for too many modifications after all, especially if the machine Mythe has got access to has the same or similar controller as HAAS VF-3.

If you look at the beginning of the program, under comments, there are tools and stock specifications, so everything needed for machining is there...the origin point is one of the upper corners of the stock and axis orientation is not hard to be understood from the toolpath provided.

This project was done by RalphW and me a while ago and I've posted pictures and details in the "Post pictures of your homebuilt blocks here!" Sticky, but they are gone now...

It is probably hard to believe, but I did not see the DangerDan RBX before making this design with changeable inserts.

The blocks are in our machines now and perform OK...I get 42.5C CPU core temperature with 1.75Vcore and 2.28Ghz on XP2400+ and water temperature of 28C on ABIT NF7-S.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (110.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (56.4 KB, 19 views)
Unread 07-21-2004, 06:40 AM   #17
JFettig
Cooling Savant

well I did not read enough of the code, It is possible for machines like a haas vf-3 Im sure with that high of a spindle speed, I am just doubting that he will have that kind of a machine to cut it with.

Got a quick question, how did you go about cutting all the way around your block? I have been trying to find the best way to do that.(mount a big peice in vice, mill it then screw it to another peice etc.

-edit- what cad/cam programs do you use for those drawings and all?

Jon
Unread 07-21-2004, 12:45 PM   #18
tex707
Cooling Savant

The code was made for VF-3...I knew that the top speed was 7500 with 20HP drive. I really have no idea what kind of machine he could use, but I just wanted to offer some help. The toolpaths could stay the same anyway and all he needs is some feedrate and speed adjustment in case the controller is capable of accepting this kind of code.

The milling of the outer side was done all the way around in two different ways, one of those being perfect but more expensive..
What we did first is clamp the copper (or Plexi) stock and loose about 3mm of height that way. Than, after the first process was finished (like in attachments 2 and 3), the part would be turned around, reclamped and finished with a second process. This was OK, but, as one could see from the picture attached in one of my previous posts (Plexi top in the upper right part of the picture), there was a misalignment in measurement of the zero axis point, so the outer side looked like it was sheared a bit. Then RalphW came with a great idea to sacrifice 3mm of copper or Plexi, so we completely machined the whole part in the first process (first clamping), and just faced those remaining 3mm off after turning it around and reclamping. This gave perfect results.
In the attachment 1, you could see the type of tool approach and return path I've used...there is no way to tell where the endmill started and finished it's job...

About CAD/CAM software...I use CATIA since I find it the best by far. However the screenshots in my previous post were done with MetaCut, which I find very useful for G-code backplotting and simulation.

And, after all, I just want to say that I don't have much experience in G-code programming for mills, since my primary activity is CAD/CAM work for CNC lathe machining.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (42.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (58.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (94.7 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by tex707; 07-21-2004 at 01:33 PM.
Unread 07-21-2004, 02:26 PM   #19
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

To cut a peice out, which is what I am setting up to do BTW, you can take a peice of plexy maybe 3/8" thick and clamp it directly to the table. Then clamp your copper stock directly to the plexy on table. Mill the design and drill the holes and then cut the peice out. You will go into the plexy instead of the table when cutting all the way through. I am trying to figure the best way to clamp the material down but all tabels should have the slot grooves in them for clamps. Probably have to mill some custom clamps and stuff but I think it will be worth it. Whenever I get that going I will post some pics.

I think it was Bladrunner that had some pics of clamping directly to the table.
Unread 07-21-2004, 05:16 PM   #20
JFettig
Cooling Savant

I was thinking about drilling milling everything, driling the holes, and using the holes to hold it down to a peice of steel or something and then milling all the way around it, thats how we do it at work but we use much bigger bolts and holes wich I do not want to put into my peices..... Im not sure how well it would hold up with small screws.

Jon
Unread 07-22-2004, 09:08 PM   #21
JFettig
Cooling Savant

ok, well I was snoopin around at work one guy was milling some aluminum at 40-50ipm in the haas vf3, so maybe all this will be good as long as its a big enough mill.

I got some coolant today and busted out some floodage! ITS SWEET! Im amased by the speed and cut depth increase

Jon
Unread 07-23-2004, 01:19 AM   #22
tex707
Cooling Savant

Quote:
ok, well I was snoopin around at work one guy was milling some aluminum at 40-50ipm in the haas vf3, so maybe all this will be good as long as its a big enough mill.

I got some coolant today and busted out some floodage! ITS SWEET! Im amased by the speed and cut depth increase

Jon
Oh, c'mon J...don't tell me that you had some doubts about this block being machined with .625" carbide insert facemill doing 40 in/m at 2000 RPM...the problem is, it was probably doing MORE than 40 in/m at some times...

As I've stated, the machine made an O-ring groove with .075" flat endmill at 10 in/m and 6000 RPM no sweat.

The feedrates could be much higher tan these, depending on a machine and tools...the most extreme example I saw was 160 in/m with 1mm endmill...!!!...please check out this link, you may find it VERY interesting...the guys at Boeing are doing something very similar to our waterblocks:

http://www.boeing.com/assocproducts/...dMachining.htm

Attached is a picture of "my" W/B in front of the machine it was made on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HAAS.jpg (82.4 KB, 38 views)
Unread 08-08-2004, 06:50 AM   #23
tex707
Cooling Savant

What...no comment on 160 ipm feedrate with 1mm endmill...??....
Unread 08-08-2004, 08:08 AM   #24
JFettig
Cooling Savant

you think Im gonna read through all those lines of code? I dont think so
Unread 08-08-2004, 08:14 AM   #25
tex707
Cooling Savant

Quote:
you think Im gonna read through all those lines of code? I dont think so

What lines of code...???...there is just one photo and a few lines of text... :shrug: