Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 10-06-2004, 12:41 PM   #1
manfar
Cooling Neophyte

Default 2 questions

Hey, in a huge panic atm, spent so much time painting the case and modding it and now having trouble with water cooling after all this work, need help badly

Just finished building a new water system or at least i thought i did. Having a few problems. One of them is one of the barbs in the radiator seems to be leaking or at least i hope its the barb and not the radiator itself. It only leaks when i turn the computer upside down though (trying to fill the system) Since its such a small leak however has anyone ever tried silicone to seal a barb into the hardware its in? Im going to try tightening the barb but if it doesnt work ill try silicone. I think the reason its leaking is i put 4 revolutions on the barb of ptfe/plumbing tape. I think it was too much because i removed one of the other barbs and most of the tape had shredded off.

Second question is anyone have any tips on checking if the pump is working or not since you cant see the water moving through the pipes. I tested mine with quite a bit of water in it and all it did was fizz the water up (cavitation?) im not sure. I have a 3/8" water flow meter but mine is 1/2" and i dont water the water flow slowing down just for that.
manfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2004, 03:25 PM   #2
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

I pressure test heatercores, to find the leak. All you need is a bicycle pump and this (see pic below).

You might consider adding a flow sensor, such as Dwyer's, here:
http://www.dwyer-inst.com/htdocs/flo...esSF2Intro.cfm
(there's also a model in plastic, cheaper).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pressure tester.jpg (39.1 KB, 12 views)
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2004, 03:54 PM   #3
Brians256
Pro/Staff

1. I use epoxy to affix barbs to my heatercores. Make sure it is waterproof epoxy though, and that the joint will not need to flex. If the joint needs to flex (see use of barbs in flexible material such as is used in some reservoirs), use something like Plumber's Goop which is just a water proof/resistant RTV.

2. To see if the pump is "working", I typically look at the reservoir/airtrap to see if the water surface is roiling. This may not be effective if you have an opaque water reservoir, or no reservoir.
Brians256 is offline   Reply With Quote