Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 10-31-2004, 08:31 AM   #1
Tonee
Cooling Neophyte

Default WB Design

Firstly, Hi all

Here's my first design... the centre is where the inlet pipe would be and then I'd have two outlets... my only problem is I don't have a CNC machine and I reckon this design would be hard to do with a dremel/drill

But anyways, I was just wondering what you think.

And where would I find socket 939 sizes? The post in the sticky doesn't show up for me, and any decent UK copper suppliers?

What thickness do people usually make these? Or should I stay what size "lump" of copper do you buy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg water.JPG (14.6 KB, 119 views)
Tonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2004, 12:47 AM   #2
peepingdan
Cooling Neophyte

kill the flow, why dontcha'?
peepingdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2004, 04:21 AM   #3
Kobuchi
Cooling Savant

If I were the water in there, I'd want a gun and lots of bad-guys to chase around.

How did you arrive at this design? Of course if you have some theory or hunch behind this it's worth exploring.
Kobuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2004, 05:29 AM   #4
Tonee
Cooling Neophyte

I thought you where suppose to make as much turbulance in the centre as possible
Tonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2004, 02:45 PM   #5
Kobuchi
Cooling Savant

I get it. "Turbulence" usually means "chaos" (e.g. air turbulence), but when we're talking about liquid passing a solid we say "turbulent flow" to mean something else. We mean friction does not cause the otherwise brisk liquid to slink just where it meets the solid boundary (e.g. pin, pipe wall, fin). Turbulent flow grabs heat faster than sticky "laminar" flow.

Chaotic flow creates spots of turbulence incidentally, but there are better ways to engineer turbulence just where it matters.
Kobuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2004, 03:18 PM   #6
buzzby
Cooling Neophyte

Love the use of the hammer editor. I wont prentent ot know a lot about the science involved in water blocks. But i would remove the last wall from each side to make the block a little less restrictive.

Or make some of the walls half as high!
buzzby is offline   Reply With Quote