Go Back   Pro/Forums > Site News and Blogs > ProCooling workBlogs > pHaestus's WorkLog
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Unread 11-11-2004, 12:03 AM   #151
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerSandwich
After reading this, I expected worse. Basically, anything better than an Eheim does the trick.
Comparison flow-rate vs pump graph of the XP vs the MCW6000 to demonstrate the flow-rate thing more clearly:

Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2004, 12:06 AM   #152
HammerSandwich
Cooling Savant

Yeah, I'd compared it to the graph in the G5 review, where the difference is somewhat less.
Unread 11-11-2004, 03:15 AM   #153
Les
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by pHaestus
I am hesitant to post the preliminary results as I have NO idea how much force is applied with the allen bolt. My best guess is "more than I apply on the 4 hole wb tests" because the first mount I had the block a little bit off center and got horrible temps. I am pretty sure I cranked down a bit more than is normal the second time. But yea on the dT vs flow rate curve the NexXoS XP is a very impressive block.

I should be able to post results tomorrow
Perhaps interestingly Incoherent's C/Ws for wbs are expected to be mounting pressure independent.
Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2004, 11:04 AM   #154
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Wouldn't that require 2 temp probe holes drilled in every wb bp though? Even 1 hole drilled in a bp like a cascade or WW or Storm would be pretty difficult to manage.
pHaestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2004, 12:25 PM   #155
Les
Cooling Savant

Just indicating a possible virtue of the Flux-Block as heat-source .
Not suggesting adoption when using a cpu as a heat-source.
Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2004, 02:25 PM   #156
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

I am currently testing the last block I'll run on a CPU. I hope so, anyway. I am terribly conflicted on this because I think that mounting issues and secondary effects are really important. With several hardware failures and a continuous progression of new CPU types though I don't think this sort of testing is convenient or particularly relevant any more.
Unread 11-11-2004, 08:52 PM   #157
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

http://phaestus.procooling.com/temp/...ool-prelim.jpg

Preliminary data. Block is very good but also very restrictive. I will finish this review either tonight late or tomorrow.
Unread 11-11-2004, 10:13 PM   #158
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:

Preliminary data. Block is very good but also very restrictive. I will finish this review either tonight late or tomorrow.
Having assessed the same block myself I wholeheartedly agree with those results.

On a pure flow vs performance basis it is extremely impressive, but its level of flow resistance pegs that impressiveness back in real world use. In real-world pumping power vs performance tests I personally found it to slot in about bang on mid-way between a Cascade and a Cascade SS pretty much right across my pumping power test range.

Definitely an impressive block though. Something for the main-stream manufacturers to keep on eye on because it does outperform most any commercial US-manufactured block across a broad range of pumping powers.

It also pretty much dismisses the whole high-flow vs low-flow myth too. Having had tested it myself I knew that was the case, but had kept my mouth largely shut on the matter until it was independently tested.
Unread 11-11-2004, 10:22 PM   #159
brucoman
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhsub1
On that chart the RD-30 would be what, about 9.5lpm or so? On a side note, once the RD-30 is restricted (I only ran it with 2M tubing) it gets much quieter, I artificially restricted the outlet by pinching the tubing, whoooosh noise is gone when doing so. Will see when it is in the loop.

Am very excited about getting the new pump and G5 in the rig
my RD-30 is whisper quiet with the 2 Storm's/2-342 rad at 24v, drawing only 0.3 amps is odd....
brucoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2004, 11:04 PM   #160
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Cathar:
Was thinking I'd send it to Bill to play with when I was done with it (if he's interested). Is that ok?
Unread 11-11-2004, 11:39 PM   #161
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Cathar:
Was thinking I'd send it to Bill to play with when I was done with it (if he's interested). Is that ok?
I personally have no problem with that at all. However it may be courtesy to fire an email off to Alphacool (Tanner the name of the guy whom I was talking to from memory). He was happy to provide to Procooling by way of me, but may have something to say about a test block finding its way into competition hands free of charge.
Unread 11-11-2004, 11:42 PM   #162
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Could you PM or e-mail me the contact address? I need to get a little "design/goal/marketing" blurb for this block too for the review.
Unread 11-11-2004, 11:54 PM   #163
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Could you PM or e-mail me the contact address? I need to get a little "design/goal/marketing" blurb for this block too for the review.
Done. Taner is his name. Nice guy once we got past the initial unpleasantness resulting from that old thread.
Unread 11-12-2004, 09:55 PM   #164
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:

Very good.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2004, 03:19 PM   #165
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Hi guys!
Figured out something potentially very useful yesterday. My Epox 8K3A+ isn't water damaged; it has leaky caps! The 4 nearest the power regulation area are bulging and have a little dried brown juice on the top. I noticed this because the replacement 8K3A+ someone sent me has THE SAME PROBLEM. I haven't yet booted the new board, but I am pretty sure I can salvage the old 8K3A with some new caps. KnightElite has a socketA mobo graveyard at his house I think; gonna try to get 8 decent caps from his Abit boards.
I built a comp for my daughter a while back with one of my Epox 8K7A's. About a month ago I was getting complaints the thing would lock up and while doing so they could hear a high pitch squeal. I got the comp today and took the side cover off to find whats in the attached pic. I am now thinking the last 2 8K7A's I had that mysteriously died were from the same problem.....

This board will work fine until Paint Shop Pro is loaded and the CPU starts to get loaded up then the squeal and then the freeze up... Got to be the caps? I am going to replace them from one of the Abit or Asus boards I got laying around.

This bothers me because they were supposed to have this bad cap problem sorted out long before the 8K7A's were released. Obviously not and the 8K3A+ you got there is a good year newer... Bah...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg badcaps.jpg (42.0 KB, 18 views)
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2004, 02:11 PM   #166
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Lots of new data posted yesterday and today throughout forums. Expect 2-3 more reviews this week