Go Back   Pro/Forums > Pro But Non Cooling Hobbies > Pro/Car and Motorsports Forum
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Pro/Car and Motorsports Forum For those geeks who dig Cars, Racing, or just aspire to some day drive one.

Unread 07-04-2005, 12:56 PM   #1
CYberDruid
Cooling Neophyte

Any Motorcycle Riders Here? Post Your Ride(s)

Hello there--new to this Forum--wondered if we had any Motomaniacs in the herd?

Just to prove Geek/Gearhead Hybrids exist I thought I'd start this thread.

I like anything that makes noise and moves (kinda like my 2 year old son) so I've been tinkering with machines ever since I figures out how to start the lawn mower...

May parents were strict and pretty much said if I wanted a van or a motorcycle (let alone alcohol or tobacco) I could have them--after I moved out.

So of course the first thing I did was get an old VW Bus and a POS CB350!

The missus is much more understanding--she just wanted one too--so between the two of us we have 3 motorcycles, a '62 Buick Special deluxe Wagon and the ubiquitous Minivan, Pickup, and for something a little different a Scion Xb.

The bike I really cherish the most is my 1979 Triumph Bonneville--I built it up from a total basket case to a respectable classic and have about 21,000 miles in the saddle.

The bike I get in the most trouble with is my 2000 Millenium Edition Buell X-1 Lightning. I have over 40,000 miles of evasive manuevers on that one.

The bike that almost killed me is my Wife's 2003 Buell Blast--it's so nimble and small I was having a little too much fun and laid it down one time--gotta watch that big old sprocket in the back--I lost some skin that time.

Here's a quick shot of the bikes...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bonneville.JPG (202.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Lightning.JPG (210.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Blast.JPG (151.7 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by CYberDruid; 07-04-2005 at 01:00 PM. Reason: shpellink
CYberDruid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2005, 11:02 PM   #2
killernoodle
Thermophile

Yeah dude, I just bought a 2005 Yamaha FZ6 2 weeks ago. I'm taking pics of me on it tomorrow Nice buells!
Unread 07-05-2005, 12:11 AM   #3
Long Haired Git
Cooling Savant

The bike went went the first kid arrived.
Reverse will happen!

RZ250k -> FZ750 -> CBR600F2 -> FZR400RR
plus a RD350LC I rebuilt, and many rides on lots of other stuff on loans, most memorably a FZR1000R which was mental.
"Securing an environment of Windows platforms from abuse - external or internal - is akin to trying to install sprinklers in a fireworks factory where smoking on the job is permitted." (Prof. Gene Spafford)
My Rig, in all its glory, can be seen best here
AMD XP1600 @ 1530 Mhz | Soyo Dragon + | 256 Mb PC2700 DDRAM | 2 x 40 Gb 7200rpm in Raid-0 | Maze 2, eheim 1250, dual heater cores! | Full specifications (PCDB)

Long Haired Git is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2005, 06:18 AM   #4
JSimmons
Cooling Savant

Location: 4-sided room with an exit going east, and an exit going south

Bought it new in 1993 in California, and the pics posted show it in 2004 just before I sold it with 83,000 miles on it, and still mechanically perfect (original clutch, primary chain, and final drive belt). I sold it when I moved to Texas because a) it's too damn hot to ride comfortably, the cagers here scared me with their driving habits, and I lost about 25% usability in my left hand due to a miter saw accident...

Last edited by JSimmons; 07-14-2005 at 04:34 AM.
JSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2005, 12:24 PM   #5
Aronj66
Cooling Neophyte

I have a lil yamaha 650 Vstar at the moment and planning a complete custom build for the winter. All these damn Discovery channel shows gave me too many ideas for what I want in a Bike that I just have to try and build one.

Aronj66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2005, 05:46 PM   #6
killernoodle
Thermophile

Me on the fizzer..... eerm, Yamaha FZ6. Still smells like a new bike!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0003 (Small).JPG (86.8 KB, 68 views)
Unread 07-05-2005, 07:06 PM   #7
killernoodle
Thermophile

More Fizzy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0005 (Medium).JPG (118.1 KB, 27 views)
Unread 07-05-2005, 11:45 PM   #8
bitbum
Cooling Neophyte

From our last ride near Caliente CA

bitbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2005, 05:26 PM   #9
CYberDruid
Cooling Neophyte

Too cool--great pics! Yeah it's too hot to ride comfortably here in FL and the pinkhaired glaucoma victims are everywhere like ghosts in a bad pacman flashback. So I am really happy about moving to the mountains of VA where if I screw up it could take weeks to find my body....
Unread 07-12-2005, 07:30 AM   #10
dacooltech
Pro/Vendor

Default Ducs Rule!

Quote:
The bike went went the first kid arrived.
Reverse will happen!
Same story here Long Haired

My first bike was a Suzuki ER-21, a 50cc crossbike, when I was 14 and rode the following in the last 20yrs:
Yamaha RD125 > Kawasaki KLR650 > Yamaha Super Tenere > Yamaha XT600 > Suzuki GSX-R 1100 > Ducati Superbike 748R > Ducati Monter 750

The Duc 748R was with 50 mm Termignonis and a new chip (~ 103 HP on the rear wheel). Eventhough I loved the Duc 748R, it was the bike that I owned for the shortest period of time (~3 months). 748R was definitely for the race-track, if you know what I mean. Monster 750 was one of the bikes that I enjoyed riding most. I am a big Ducati fan, and planning to buy a new Duc next year
Unread 07-13-2005, 11:19 PM   #11
Bevel
Cooling Neophyte

Default Ducati amen

Wow you guys into bikes as well, I am in the right place!
Here's a shot of my 1978 Ducati 900ss.

I bought it when I was 21 and working in a motorcycle shop. It got traded for a 851 Duke and I was in the right place. It had a hard life and I have spent alot on it to get it in the condition you see it now. It has been repainted in original colours, The wheels have been rebuilt with stainless spokes and the rims and hubs polished. Almost every bolt has been replaced with stainless items and if it had to be steel for strenght it was chromed. All engine covers are polished alloy, looks great but its alot of work!
It has to be run on race gas (Leaded) as it hates unleaded, fouls plugs.
The thing I like about this bike is that it was built with just one purpose in mind, to win races - something it did quite well. It is not comfortable to ride for a long time but then it is not a touring bike, comfort was not a consideration.
I love this bike to bits and it will never be sold - its everything I want in a bike and you should hear it when you open the throttle hard barreling out of a corner - pure heaven. Amen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My babe.jpg (119.8 KB, 182 views)
Bevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2005, 11:39 AM   #12
dacooltech
Pro/Vendor

Wow Bevel she's a beauty
excellent job

well, guess Ducati and comfort can't be used in the same sentence
My wife just hated the Monster's back seat

Last edited by dacooltech; 07-15-2005 at 08:15 PM.
dacooltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2005, 07:59 PM   #13
CYberDruid
Cooling Neophyte

Yes indeed! A rare and highly desirable superbike if ever there was one....and shockingly unmolested--a real treat--I love that machine Bevel! Too bad no way to post a .wav
Unread 07-15-2005, 11:26 PM   #14
Bevel
Cooling Neophyte

Im glad you guys like my baby.
It was a bit "molested" when I bought it but it is now back to original spec - including the green fuel lines.
Bevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2005, 02:31 PM   #15
Marci
Cooling Savant

Well, my kid arrived, and my first bike arrived shortly afterwards... guess I've got it lucky...

Tis an `89 NS125R-K...

That was her in her stock form - no pix of her currently. Not a lot's changed visually.
Restrictor plates removed... Exhaust has been swapped out for an MBX125 Micron Performance Pipe... main jet up'd from 110 to 128, airbox removed and K&N Filter fitted... will overbore and skim when I get chance / finances... originally did 70mph tops when I got her, now does 95mph. Lotsa midrange and topend. Lost a lot of bottom end when I swapped off the exhaust, but the original was 95% weld, 4% rust, 1% air so it had to go. MBX pipe was just handy at the time, so since then been tweaking her to run happily with it. Wants main jet upping a bit more and pilot jet looking at, but when it's my only form of transportation, getting chance to get on with it is rare...

I also race MiniMoto Sidecars... me on the right hangin' out the side...

`05 CBR125 engine fitted into custom made chassis with 6" Kart Rims and tyres. Independant front and back brakes. Overbored and skimmed, race tuned, hand-made ram-air fitted, got a Rotrex C15 supercharger on the way for it... at the mo it'll manage just short of 90mph with topend gearing and two onboard, but circuits we race on and fuel tank capacity restricts us, so tend to be set up for 70mph tops with lotsa bottom end. We're currently leading the British Championship 4T class... and going off points from last round are now unbeatable, so unofficially, we've got the championship nailed. Only outfits on the track faster than us are the highly tuned 2stroke F1 and F2 outfits... we're 0.53 secs off the pace from those... but 4stroke 125cc is rarely a match for expertly tuned 2stroke 80cc. No need to worry about those tho, as they ain't in our class. S'just fun chasing em...!

Looking to move on the NS125R soon and pick up a Cag Mito Evo... get test passed (finances are only thing preventing) then have me eyes on a ZZR400.
Marci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2005, 04:08 PM   #16
Long Haired Git
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marci
Well, my kid arrived, and my first bike arrived shortly afterwards... guess I've got it lucky...
Depends. Met a single mum in the park with the missus whose story led me to sell my bike. I'm a bit of a nutter on the bike - can't help myself.

Quote:
.... and pick up a Cag Mito Evo
That's my plan as well - assuming they still make them when I get a bike again. However, I want to swap out the 125cc engine and put in the largest 2 stroke chook-chaser engine I can fit. CR500? WR360?
"Securing an environment of Windows platforms from abuse - external or internal - is akin to trying to install sprinklers in a fireworks factory where smoking on the job is permitted." (Prof. Gene Spafford)
AMD XP1600 @ 1530 Mhz | Soyo Dragon + | 256 Mb PC2700 DDRAM | 2 x 40 Gb 7200rpm in Raid-0 | Maze 2, eheim 1250, dual heater cores! | Full specifications (PCDB)

Unread 08-31-2005, 06:53 PM   #17
dacooltech
Pro/Vendor

Quote:
You're a really lucky man Marci

BTW my wife is pregnant with our 2nd child (he is due in about 2 weeks )
about a month ago my wife was craving ice cream, and asked me to get her one. I said well I'm craving for a Duc but you don't let me have one, so forget about the ice cream... long story short, over an ice cream, she promised me that I can have my Duc after the baby is born lol
So hopefully I will be riding on a Ducati again soon

MiniMoto sidecar racing looks like fun... guess i should try that one day...
Unread 09-27-2005, 03:39 PM   #18
Marci
Cooling Savant

W00h00! Am officially British Champion as of 25th September Can't beat a 200 point lead with one round to go... max points per round is 100

Think I'll stay in the truck n get drunk at the final round of the season, cos certainly don't need to risk me neck on the track!
Unread 09-28-2005, 12:39 AM   #19
Long Haired Git
Cooling Savant

Do the race wearing chicken suits or gorilla suits over the leathers.

Unread 09-28-2005, 07:58 AM   #20
mwolfman
Cooling Savant

I’ve have a Honda CB 750-F2, 1982 year model, the thing here in Sweden is that the bike got to be 20 years plus or an BMW due to insurance. The engine is rebuilt for $ 2000 (the same as the bike cost). Have a problem starting it due to the Laser system and the sprocket for the start engine is wear down. (attached tumb., the box is removed, cost 15km/h top speed, 2l/100km and the look is a lot better without it).

I’ve had one Honda 125 something (didn’t work).
And Kawasaki cross 125-91
A Yamaha RDLC 125-87 (this one is actually quite quick on small roads, you don’t have to use the brakes)

My next bike will be an BMW GS 1150/1200... Helped a friend to drive it from Germany (cheaper), I drove it @160-190km/h in 12h-straight, not that may bikes that can take that... (or drivers)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HondaCB750F2tumb.JPG (127.2 KB, 4 views)
~0,15452756±0,004125251°C/W , HL120.3 with 3 Papst 4412@7volt , Hydor L30II

Last edited by mwolfman; 10-11-2005 at 02:35 AM.
mwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2005, 11:36 AM   #21
dacooltech
Pro/Vendor

Quote:
W00h00! Am officially British Champion as of 25th September Can't beat a 200 point lead with one round to go... max points per round is 100

Think I'll stay in the truck n get drunk at the final round of the season, cos certainly don't need to risk me neck on the track!
Congrats mate
Unread 10-20-2005, 05:10 AM   #22
Cathar
Thermophile

Me on ye olde Firestorm (Honda VTR1000) 'bout 5 years back.

Time for another bike.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2005, 06:01 AM   #23
Marci
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Time for another bike.
Allow me to recommend a Kwaki ZX-12R... 2002 or later... you'll love it
Unread 10-20-2005, 06:05 AM   #24
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Allow me to recommend a Kwaki ZX-12R... 2002 or later... you'll love it
Kinda had my eye set on the Aprilia RSV1000R

Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2005, 06:17 AM   #25
Marci
Cooling Savant

Reports from folks here that have test ridden say they're rather `orrid in the engine dept. Can't remember why, will quiz Mike n' Daz tonight...