Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 08-08-2005, 09:56 PM   #1
JamesAvery22
Cooling Savant

Default My recent activities (Teaser pics :D )

Lots more to come. Wish I had the time =\
Attached Images
File Type: jpg htpc.jpg (73.4 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg main.jpg (56.8 KB, 197 views)

Last edited by JamesAvery22; 08-08-2005 at 10:12 PM.
JamesAvery22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2005, 10:00 PM   #2
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Looking interesting. Nice big passive copper rad there.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2005, 11:16 PM   #3
killernoodle
Thermophile

Holy surface area! Yeah, just hide that thing on a floorboard and you would have an excellent stealth passive system.
Unread 08-09-2005, 12:17 AM   #4
JamesAvery22
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by killernoodle
Holy surface area! Yeah, just hide that thing on a floorboard and you would have an excellent stealth passive system.

Eh dont care about stealth.

But this is the first time Ive run the iwaki for a long period of time. Its getting VERY hot. Almost to the point where I cant keep my hand on it. Its not heating up the water though. The head doesnt feel hot, yeah course its plastic. Its an 100v version but I already put a 16ohm in series with it. Anyone else's iwaki get hot?
Unread 08-09-2005, 03:50 AM   #5
Pessimisten
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAvery22
Eh dont care about stealth.

But this is the first time Ive run the iwaki for a long period of time. Its getting VERY hot. Almost to the point where I cant keep my hand on it. Its not heating up the water though. The head doesnt feel hot, yeah course its plastic. Its an 100v version but I already put a 16ohm in series with it. Anyone else's iwaki get hot?
All Iwakis get hot, the motor with its copper coils sits right against the casing that's why the the casing gets so damn hot.

If you want pictures how the iwaki looks disected look in this thread http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...highlight=md30
Unread 08-09-2005, 08:20 AM   #6
JamesAvery22
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pessimisten
All Iwakis get hot, the motor with its copper coils sits right against the casing that's why the the casing gets so damn hot.

If you want pictures how the iwaki looks disected look in this thread http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...highlight=md30
Yeah Ive disected mine a few times. So its ok it gets that hot?

edit---------

read that link which talked about iwakis heat and had a link to OCAU forums about the same subject, thanks. Just caught me off guard when it ran that hot. I need to remake that cap on the end of the pump. Got the pump used and it didnt come with a back. had to make one to hold the extra resistor anways so I didnt mind. But its PVC and that resistor gets hot too (yeah Im an idiot should have thought about that). Maybe drill holes to ventilate. Just wish I could make a cap out of aluminum. Any of you guys that I envy b/c you have a lathe want to manufacture a cap for me?

Last edited by JamesAvery22; 08-09-2005 at 11:49 AM.
JamesAvery22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2005, 11:03 AM   #7
Ultraviolet
Cooling Neophyte

Where did you get that radiator?
Ultraviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2005, 11:05 AM   #8
JamesAvery22
Cooling Savant

local grainger. Had to order it using the companies name whome I work for then pay in cash. They wouldn't take an order from an individual.
Unread 08-09-2005, 11:29 AM   #9
killernoodle
Thermophile

That type of radiator is commonly found in baseboard heaters. You could probably find them in old houses or in a heating supplies catalog for decently cheap.
Unread 08-09-2005, 03:35 PM   #10
billbartuska
Cooling Savant

You are going to raise that rad up off of whatever it is sitting on aren't you? Not much air flow the way it's pictured. You could also save alotta space by cutting it into sections and looping it back on itself (the fins can be removed to give you spaces to solder. Great idea, waiting to hear results.
billbartuska is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2005, 03:57 PM   #11
JamesAvery22
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska
You are going to raise that rad up off of whatever it is sitting on aren't you? Not much air flow the way it's pictured. You could also save alotta space by cutting it into sections and looping it back on itself (the fins can be removed to give you spaces to solder. Great idea, waiting to hear results.
was going to actually make a mount thats screwed into the wood of that ledge and extend it off the ledge. So its more open. Not to mention there is an AC vent blowing up right below the ledge. Course when its cold I might just leave those windows cracked =)

Not going to cut it up. There is a turbulator I made inside it already and its permanent. Got pics of that but havent uploaded them anywhere.

And removing the fins pretty much destroys the fins. You'd have to solder them back on once you took them off. Which I dont have the tools to do.