Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Hardware and Case Mod's
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Hardware and Case Mod's You Paint it, Cut it, Solder it, bend it, light it up, make it glow or anything like that, here is your forum.

Unread 06-20-2005, 09:33 PM   #1
Fr3nzy
Cooling Neophyte

Default Sony Vaio and other cases, can they be purchased?

I know some people can make or have made specific custom cases. I figure every major comapny has their own case made (sony, HP/compaq, toshiba, etc.) custom. A lot of stuff these days is available custom made, I've noticed it seems to be getting bigger and bigger, the probelm is that not many companies, if any, sell their computer cases that they had custom made. I'm just curious if it's possible to get a hold of JUST one of these cases (desktop case that is). I could go buy a computer and remove the parts, however that's money wasted.
So would there be any way to get these company-specific cases? Persoanlly I like the Sony Vaio case, I don't know how good it is, but I find it asthetically pleasing. So does anybody know of a website, or any way I might be able to get a hold of one of these cases, aside from buying the computer myself, or getting it custom made?

Many thanks in advance!
Fr3nzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2005, 01:12 AM   #2
jman1310
Cooling Savant

sounds like a job for ebay
jman1310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2005, 12:35 PM   #3
Brians256
Pro/Staff

They do NOT sell their cases by themselves. Ebay (or other auction house) will be your best bet. Unless you know a Sony Vaio employee by first name and favorite sexual position, you won't get a case by itself from Sony.
Brians256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2005, 12:46 PM   #4
Fr3nzy
Cooling Neophyte

I would just go buy a Sony, but I heard they have not-too-great power supplies. Besides Buying a whole computer for a case, is a bit silly. Thanks any way!
Unread 06-21-2005, 01:08 PM   #5
Tempus
Cooling Savant

I bet you could call up the Sony spare parts desk and order one. You can order nearly any part from most vendors.
Unread 06-21-2005, 02:25 PM   #6
Brians256
Pro/Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempus
I bet you could call up the Sony spare parts desk and order one. You can order nearly any part from most vendors.
You think they'd offer the case, though? Also, most companies offer spare parts in some manner, but, they might not offer them to anyone but authorized service locations.

For Fr3nzy's sake, I hope he can get one from them.
Brians256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2005, 07:27 PM   #7
Fr3nzy
Cooling Neophyte

It's good to know someone is pulling for me . I don't think i'll go with the sony case, too much hassle for just a case. I'm currently looking at micro ATX cases, anybody know good manufacturers? I've foud some shuttles, but those are costly (even as refurbished). Antec makes a good one I hear, but anybody know any other companies?

Thanks
Unread 06-22-2005, 11:54 PM   #8
MadHacker
Cooling Savant

you could make your own...
take a mid tower and chop it down...
then it can be of any size you want...
Unread 06-23-2005, 11:37 AM   #9
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

I saw Sony in the title and barely managed to stop the "delete post" trigger finger. I would think ebay or local classified ads would be your best bet to get an old Sony case.
Unread 06-23-2005, 04:16 PM   #10
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pHaestus
I saw Sony in the title and barely managed to stop the "delete post" trigger finger. I would think ebay or local classified ads would be your best bet to get an old Sony case.
LOL I was prepared to hit the report post link aswell.

I wonder if the Sony cases can be used like normal ATX cases and what not. A seen a lot of "PreFab" computer cases that have mobo's and other parts not anywhere near the same configuration of a standard computer.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2005, 04:21 PM   #11
MadHacker
Cooling Savant

these cases my have an older ATX powersupply...
I guess the hard part would be to find an ATX 2.0 powersupply that would fit as well.
Unread 06-23-2005, 05:08 PM   #12
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

If you're dedicated enough to pay for the case then you'll make a good PSU fit
I'm AMAZED at the SFF PSUs that power up beefy desktop systems. If you can run a dual core 939 and SLI video cards in a SFF then surely we could find a similar PSU that we could shoehorn most anywhere?

I think a lot of the OEMS like Dell just use a different pinout on the ATX connector anyway. You can make an adapter or hack the plug up of a normal PSU and then it works fine with the Dell mobos. I'm not sure they still even bother doing this?
Unread 06-23-2005, 07:28 PM   #13
maxSaleen
Cooling Savant

Nah, Dell is still proprietary. All the way. Custom mobo, custom PSU, custom thermal layout (still adheres to general ATX/BTX standards of course). They do this so as to reduce the quality, and therfore price, of their product. You think those machines with integrated graphics, a low end P4, one optical, one HD, and a fan use a high quality PSU? Hell no. They do whatever they can to make money. That is why I would never buy a system from them.

Fr3nzy: Lian li makes a good mATX desktop case, as does coolermaster and silverstone (they have gotten some good press from the HTPC crowd). You could always "roll your own" by going to your local hardware store and picking up some aluminum L frame and some pop rivets. This allows much greater flexibility in desiging your system if your willing to invest the TLC.
maxSaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2005, 07:47 PM   #14
jman1310
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxSaleen
Nah, Dell is still proprietary. All the way. Custom mobo, custom PSU, custom thermal layout (still adheres to general ATX/BTX standards of course). They do this so as to reduce the quality, and therfore price, of their product. You think those machines with integrated graphics, a low end P4, one optical, one HD, and a fan use a high quality PSU? Hell no. They do whatever they can to make money. That is why I would never buy a system from them.

Fr3nzy: Lian li makes a good mATX desktop case, as does coolermaster and silverstone (they have gotten some good press from the HTPC crowd). You could always "roll your own" by going to your local hardware store and picking up some aluminum L frame and some pop rivets. This allows much greater flexibility in desiging your system if your willing to invest the TLC.
actually i have a dell 400SC and the PSU is standard layout and seems quite good for a 250watt unit but then this is a business model designed to be an entry level server
jman1310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2005, 06:01 AM   #15
maxSaleen
Cooling Savant

Like I said they make it as cheap as possible. Your system will get more wear and needs to be more reliable than a normal consumer system. Therefore it will get a better PSU.
maxSaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2005, 11:58 PM   #16
Fr3nzy
Cooling Neophyte

do companies like Sony even make anything beyond the case? I figured they just put in components as does anybody else. I'm probably wrong on that, but if they do just put in components that could be gotten from newegg and places of the like then I'd assume you could put an average atx motherboard in there...maybe not =/