Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 08-28-2005, 10:36 PM   #1
TonyYHF
Cooling Neophyte

Default Which 12cm fans suitable for heatercore?

I am ready to get 2 12cm fans for my heatercore but have no idea. Noise level is one of my consideration.
Please give some suggestions to me. Thanks.
TonyYHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2005, 10:45 PM   #2
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

I would check this thread out: http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=16393
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2005, 10:45 PM   #3
Cathar
Thermophile

NoiseBlocker SX-2
Yate-Loon / Tricod Science / Nexus (all OEM clones of the same base fan - being the SPDL 1225S (also referred to as the 1225L by ThermalTake but not sold separately by TT).
AcoustiFan DustProof's

Those would be the best of the ultra-low noise focused fans.

Moving up in noise levels you get to the Panaflo L1A's, the Papst's, and the Sanyo-Denki's, which are the best of the moderate-power moderate-noise fans.

Perhaps a little easier to answer your question if you give an idea of a fan that you presently have which you consider is acceptable in noise level to you.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2005, 10:47 PM   #4
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

"NoiseBlocker XS-2"

I get nothing on google. Can these be bought somewhere?
Unread 08-28-2005, 10:49 PM   #5
Cathar
Thermophile

SX2, not XS2. I wrote the latter initially due to sleep-deprivation induced dyslexia, but edited my post.
Unread 08-28-2005, 10:52 PM   #6
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathar
SX2, not XS2. I wrote the latter initially due to sleep-deprivation induced dyslexia, but edited my post.
LOL, I was way to quick to copy an paste! I still come up short though. I found the thing on what I think is French sites.
Unread 08-28-2005, 11:13 PM   #7
TonyYHF
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Perhaps a little easier to answer your question if you give an idea of a fan that you presently have which you consider is acceptable in noise level to you.
I accpet mix. about 41dBA. 25mm thickness fan is recommanded.
The heatercore from DD is thick that I guess it needs a fan with high air pressure.
Unread 08-28-2005, 11:25 PM   #8
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
LOL, I was way to quick to copy an paste! I still come up short though. I found the thing on what I think is French sites.

Homepage => http://www.noiseblocker.de/
Unread 08-29-2005, 06:05 PM   #9
redleader
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyYHF
I accpet mix. about 41dBA. 25mm thickness fan is recommanded.
The heatercore from DD is thick that I guess it needs a fan with high air pressure.
38mm thick fans tend to give a little more pressure then 25mm (at least according to the spec sheets, I haven't tested myself).
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2005, 09:15 PM   #10
moonlightcheese
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by redleader
38mm thick fans tend to give a little more pressure then 25mm (at least according to the spec sheets, I haven't tested myself).
but then they also make a great deal of noise XD
moonlightcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2005, 07:06 AM   #11
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Also which heater core (I would guess it's one that's about 2" thick, but you're in HK and I don't know what's available to you). Are you using a single fan with a shroud? 120mm fan, right? A notion of what you were cooling (so we get an idea of how much heat you're trying to shed from the rad) would be useful, too.
My experience is that (at least low noise) fans are more effective at pulling through a heatercore than pushing - and that if a single fan doesn't produce enough pressure, stacking two fans (with a spacer between) on the "pull" side works better (in the sense of lower noise for the same performance) than a push/pull setup.
Also - Cathar may have a better sense of what fans are available to you than those of us in the States or Europe...
bobkoure is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2005, 08:01 AM   #12
Ruiner
Cooling Savant

I have the AC sunon 2123s on my BIP2. They are very quiet 38mm thick fans. Ideal for thick heater cores I would think.
Ruiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2005, 08:05 AM   #13
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

But aren't those 220VAC fans running on 115V? If HK is 220, 115 might be hard to come by...(?)
Unread 08-30-2005, 09:16 AM   #14
Ruiner
Cooling Savant

Oops. I didn't catch that. Where is the HK? They work well stateside anyway.

Edit: oh, Hong Kong.

Last edited by Ruiner; 08-30-2005 at 02:21 PM.
Ruiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2005, 09:48 AM   #15
Nugit
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
NoiseBlocker SX-2...
General consensus on spcr seems to be that this is not a quiet fan and that is has high vibration and a ticking noise.

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=13749

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/vie...eblocker#18168

Last edited by Nugit; 08-30-2005 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Fixed tags
Nugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2005, 09:57 AM   #16
TonyYHF
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkoure
Also which heater core (I would guess it's one that's about 2" thick, but you're in HK and I don't know what's available to you). Are you using a single fan with a shroud? 120mm fan, right? A notion of what you were cooling (so we get an idea of how much heat you're trying to shed from the rad) would be useful, too.
My experience is that (at least low noise) fans are more effective at pulling through a heatercore than pushing - and that if a single fan doesn't produce enough pressure, stacking two fans (with a spacer between) on the "pull" side works better (in the sense of lower noise for the same performance) than a push/pull setup.
Also - Cathar may have a better sense of what fans are available to you than those of us in the States or Europe...
The heatercore was ordered from DD. Can I have a acceptable performance with 2 Papst 4414F fans on the "pull" side?
Unread 08-30-2005, 01:48 PM   #17
Brians256
Pro/Staff

Quote:
NoiseBlocker SX-2
Yate-Loon / Tricod Science / Nexus (all OEM clones of the same base fan - being the SPDL 1225S (also referred to as the 1225L by ThermalTake but not sold separately by TT).
AcoustiFan DustProof's

Those would be the best of the ultra-low noise focused fans.

Moving up in noise levels you get to the Panaflo L1A's, the Papst's, and the Sanyo-Denki's, which are the best of the moderate-power moderate-noise fans.

Is a single Nexus 120mm fan going be be able to pull any significant amount of air through a 2" heatercore? By significant, I mean enough to cool a standard CPU+pump heatload.

I think I remember you saying that this is one of the primary reasons that the PA160 is so much better. You can't simply downscale the fan speed (and thus the mm Hg) used on a heatercore past a certain point to get real quietness. You get to the point where the fan is moving but the air is simply being stirred on one side of the heatercore.
Brians256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2005, 02:23 PM   #18
Les
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brians256
Is a single Nexus 120mm fan going be be able to pull any significant amount of air through a 2" heatercore? . .............
My simulations suggest 10fpi, 50mm thick cores(DD heater-cores) would give similiar results to 14fpi,22.5mm thick cores(eg PA160).

Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2005, 08:41 PM   #19
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Is a single Nexus 120mm fan going be be able to pull any significant amount of air through a 2" heatercore? By significant, I mean enough to cool a standard CPU+pump heatload.
I don't have simulations, but I do have a couple of systems cooled by heatercores/nexxus fans. Both show very reasonable diode temps (and one of the two is overclocked).
However, I get the same temps as a single nexxus pulling through a heatercore by stacking two undervolted nexxus fans - and it's perceptably quieter (actually, goes from "audible" to "not audible" for me). (fans have a hollowed out fan body between 'em to prevent interference).
Also - I'm pretty careful about internal case air flow, all grills cut open and replaced by wire guards, front bezel unrestrictive, internal wiring fastened out of the way, etc., etc. ...
Unread 09-01-2005, 12:14 AM   #20
redleader
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlightcheese
but then they also make a great deal of noise XD
No more then any other equivilent RPM fan.
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2005, 08:56 AM   #21
Brians256
Pro/Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkoure
I don't have simulations, but I do have a couple of systems cooled by heatercores/nexxus fans. Both show very reasonable diode temps (and one of the two is overclocked).
However, I get the same temps as a single nexxus pulling through a heatercore by stacking two undervolted nexxus fans - and it's perceptably quieter (actually, goes from "audible" to "not audible" for me). (fans have a hollowed out fan body between 'em to prevent interference).
Also - I'm pretty careful about internal case air flow, all grills cut open and replaced by wire guards, front bezel unrestrictive, internal wiring fastened out of the way, etc., etc. ...
Two 7V nexus 120mm fans in series? I would never have thought of that one. Pics?
Brians256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2005, 09:17 AM   #22
TonyYHF
Cooling Neophyte

How about put a Panaflo FBA-12G12M on "pull" side? 35.5dbA with 86.5CFM looks good!
Unread 09-01-2005, 01:52 PM   #23
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Pics?
Sure - next time I have things enough apart that a pic might make sense - until then, just imagine three fans stacked, one on top of each other - only the center one doesn't have anything inside (but from the side it just looks like three fans).
Both setups are with coolingworks shrouds and montego heatercores and look tidy enough to be boring (except for the black stripe between the orange - haven't had a nexxus fan fail, so no orange fans to sacrifice.
I've done this with several kinds of fans, but never with ones powerful enough to be considered "normal" so I expect it's simply something abut low powered axial fans stalling against resistance and not some general way to get better noise/cooling out of an arbitrary (matched) set of fans...
Unread 09-01-2005, 10:22 PM   #24
HammerSandwich
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Absolutely! My thread at SPCR details exactly that, and I run the fan at 5-6V. My fan is the Yate Loon SL, so that should equate to a Nexus at 7-8V. Here's a teaser:
Unread 09-02-2005, 02:52 AM   #25
mwolfman
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyYHF
I am ready to get 2 12cm fans for my heatercore but have no idea. Noise level is one of my consideration.
Please give some suggestions to me. Thanks.
I use 3 papst 4412, I cant use them@5 volt :-(, the differance on the CPU is 1°C if I use them @ 12 volt
(Im testing pasive mode today, so far Im @ 46°C on the diod, but still rising )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baksidavattenpaket.JPG (26.2 KB, 25 views)
~0,15452756±0,004125251°C/W , HL120.3 with 3 Papst 4412@7volt , Hydor L30II
mwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote