Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 09-21-2005, 09:24 PM   #1
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Default Hurricane Rita

Rita is now headed my way.

The office here was going to be relocated temporarily to a city by the Mexican border, but cancelled the plans at the last minute, because they couldn't find any hotels.

The office is going to be closed from Thursday through Saturday, or Sunday.

So my family and I are just going to bear this one out.

We're expecting winds of up to 75 mph (~120 kph) where we'll be, and lots of rain. I don't think that we're going to have any flooding, at least not where we'll be.

You can track the progress here:
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/grap...648.shtml?3day

Details: on the map, there's an outline of the state of Texas (TX). Along the coast, there's a body of water that is very visible on the right (east) side; that's the port for the city of Houston. I'll be located roughly 150 miles (240 km) inland from there.

I'll be offline until the office re-opens.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2005, 10:22 PM   #2
maxSaleen
Cooling Savant

Anyone find it ironic that the people who went to Texas to flee Katrina are now getting hit with another hurricane? I do. I went through three hurricanes last year, BB. Charley, Irene, and another one... can't remember its name. Nothing much to them if they are Cat 3 or lower. Really heavy wind and rain. Maybe a tornado, though they are rare. Just make sure you have lots of batteries. We didn't have power for 2 days after each hurricane.
maxSaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2005, 07:24 PM   #3
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Damn hurricane. Even though I live in WA state I might get laid off for a week or so because of it. The place some of our main parts comes from is in Texas and they got evacuated today I guess...... No parts no work....
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2005, 07:46 PM   #4
csimon
Cooling Neophyte

We're going to stick it out here in southcentral louisiana. We're expecting heavy winds and rainfall.
Rita will probably be making landfall in about 24 hours from now perhaps south to southwest of us. We could be out of electricity for a week or so.
See you guys when we come back online!
csimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2005, 10:21 AM   #5
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

I'm back!

Rita went east, way east of where it was tracking last week.

We got 20 mph winds, and less than a half inch of rain, but we were lucky, very lucky. We only lost power for a couple of minutes.

My wife had the presence of mind to gather food and water, and we got together Wednesday night to get everything else ready.

Thanks to a neighbour, we cut one of the trees in our front yard that might have taken down the power line to the whole neighbourhood.

For a few days, it wasn't possible to get any gasoline (but both my wife and I had filled up the day before). Note to self; get a diesel car for the next time; no one runs out of diesel.

In retrospect, we should have evacuated the area, and head north, inland.

How did you fare, csimon?
Unread 09-26-2005, 11:09 AM   #6
superart
Cooling Savant

Good luck. 75mph shouldnt be too bad, assuming your house doesnt have wheels.

If you haven't done so already, you should buy a generator.

Looking to buy/trade for used Deep Fryer and Vacume Pack Sealer.
superart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2005, 07:43 PM   #7
csimon
Cooling Neophyte

We made out ok actually considering ...and we're kinda used to to also!
We had winds in excess of 75mph at times I'm sure. At one point my wife had taken my son to hide in the tub as she thought a tornado was surely upon us. I was in the can at the time! LOL
We went through about 24 hours of very heavy winds and rain. I live in the north portion of vermilion parish which has been on cnn a lot the past few days. A few miles south of here is looking like a huge salt water lake. The locks broke which flooded everything south of me so we're taking in tons of evacuee's at the elementary school a block away. The coastal marshlands will waste away from errosion due to the salt intrusion.

Meanwhile ...we lost electricity about 12 or more times throughout the night and the longest period was for about 30 mins when the utility company shut us down to cut some trees and bring others online. Other than that we were the only town (village) to remain with power throughout the storm in this parish (county).

I have a pic at work of either Holly Beach or the city of Cameron can't tell which it was ...but for 7 blocks all that is left is some of the roadways and power poles ...all leaning away from the surge naturally. That was just about where the eyewall hit. 20' surge I think was reported there.

I lost about a 10' section of aluminum facia and that was it. Anyone need some shrouding material ...I'm pretty handy at sheet metal layout! LOL

Glad to hear you made it well BB2k!
Unread 09-26-2005, 08:57 PM   #8
superart
Cooling Savant

yea, we had similar experiences last year. My block was pretty much the only block within a radius of about 5-10 miles that didnt lose electricity during those 4 big hurricanes that hit FL last year.

We live on the fifth floor, and at one point, the sliding glass door leading out to the balcony was vibrating like a drum head. And to make matters worse, we had some people staying over at our place from orlando, so I was stuck sleeping on the couch in the living room right in front of the glass door. I made like a baricade of pillows between me and the door, so just in case the thing shattered, I wouldn't get impaled by shards of glass in my sleep.

We opened the door a little, and a window across from it to allow for a breeze and to take some stress off the door. That helped a little, but it was still shaking like all hell.

I was kinda mad that my parents made me come home though. Back at school, theres this like big jungle, and the whole thing got flooded, and after the storm, people were riding canoes all throught it along the walking trails. I missed out on that.

Unread 09-27-2005, 10:47 AM   #9
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Glad to hear you're ok csimon.

http://ccet.louisiana.edu/03a_Cultur...on_Parish.html
Wow, you were *really* close to that hurricane!
Unread 09-28-2005, 07:34 PM   #10
csimon
Cooling Neophyte

Thanks Ben! ...and thanks for the link and yes I am cajun but I don't speak french! LOL

Here are some before and after pics of Holly Beach that have been floating around the office all week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hollybeachbefore.jpg (31.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg hollybeachafter.jpg (36.3 KB, 9 views)
Unread 09-28-2005, 07:51 PM   #11
superart
Cooling Savant

Where all dah white women at?!?!?!?

Unread 09-28-2005, 10:21 PM   #12
csimon
Cooling Neophyte

LOL ...I swear in all these years I don't think I've ever seen anything except white women at that beach!
Unread 09-29-2005, 08:44 AM   #13
superart
Cooling Savant

thats cus black people cant swim