Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 03-28-2006, 05:33 PM   #1
XyBeRWaReZ
Cooling Neophyte

Default Best Water Channel Design???

I need some suggestions on what type of water channel design to use on a large copper waterblock that I'll be using to cool down 8 peltiers in a 2x4 setup.

1. What water channel design would be most efficient? Will having a simple center divider work the best?
2. How high should the block be?
3. How thick should the base that will be contacting the peltiers be?
4. How much water should it hold to be most effective?

Any links on this type of info would be greatly appreciated as I don't mind doing a little bit more research.
XyBeRWaReZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2006, 12:01 PM   #2
Brians256
Pro/Staff

Default Re: Best Water Channel Design???

For a finned design, try looking at the microfin posts. Might require an EDM machine though.
Brians256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2006, 01:45 PM   #3
XyBeRWaReZ
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brians256
For a finned design, try looking at the microfin posts. Might require an EDM machine though.
EDM machine? Does that stand for eltrostatic discharge machine?
Unread 03-29-2006, 03:00 PM   #4
davidzo
Cooling Savant

Electro-erosion is one possibility to make the finest channels.
try cooling-masters.com watercooling section for more on that, there are som blocks from roscal with that technology. But Austrian Company Zern has a Cooler on the Market which has even finer Channels which where milled. Search for Zern PQ+ to find that one. It performs nicely even without jets and has a fairly low pressure drop compared to other germanstyle lowflow blocks like the NexxosXP.
davidzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2006, 03:09 PM   #5
XyBeRWaReZ
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidzo
Electro-erosion is one possibility to make the finest channels.
try cooling-masters.com watercooling section for more on that, there are som blocks from roscal with that technology. But Austrian Company Zern has a Cooler on the Market which has even finer Channels which where milled. Search for Zern PQ+ to find that one. It performs nicely even without jets and has a fairly low pressure drop compared to other germanstyle lowflow blocks like the NexxosXP.
That's cool and all but would that be necessary for a large copper block that will be roughly about 80mm x 200mm in size? That sounds great for my CPU cooler, but I have the Danger Den Maze 4 right now. BTW, how much better would that design be compared to the Maze 4?
Unread 03-29-2006, 04:31 PM   #6
Roscal
Cooling Savant

EDM capabilities are better than any conventional milling because no constraints on materials but cost is quite prohibitive (or have a good friend to get it for free ). On the WB below (by Exedor), channels width is ~0.15 mm (fins=0.2mm), took ~40 hours IIRC to mill with EDM process (ultra slow with a 0.1mm wire, very fragile) :

You can go down to 0.3mm channels (fins not too tall obviously) using saws on CNC if you are careful with good speed cutting and good tools

Last edited by Roscal; 03-30-2006 at 03:51 AM.
Roscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2006, 04:47 PM   #7
XyBeRWaReZ
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscal
EDM capabilities are better than any conventional milling because no constraints on materials but cost is quite prohibitive (or have a good friend to get it for free ). On the WB below, channels width is ~0.15 mm (fins=0.2mm), took ~40 hours IIRC to mill with EDM process (ultra slow with a 0.1mm wire, very fragile) :

[mod edit: removed pic, since already posted]

You can go down to 0.3mm channels (fins not too tall obviously) using saws on CNC if you are careful with good speed cutting and good tools
Is this one of the most efficient designs? It seems like water would have a hard time trying to get through such small areas. I could be wrong though.

Last edited by bigben2k; 03-29-2006 at 05:38 PM.
Unread 03-29-2006, 05:03 PM   #8
Brians256
Pro/Staff

Search the forums. According to Roscal, it did quite well.
Brians256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2006, 05:41 PM   #9
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

I know that Roscal is a firm believer in this approach, and there's a lot of merit to it. Someone (Roscal again?) posted a link, some time back, showing the construction of something like this, using stacked plates.

Here's that link again:
http://heryware.free.fr/wb.micro.2/
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2006, 06:09 PM   #10
bobo5195
Cooling Savant

Like the simplicity of that idea.

It should be easy to do the theory and work how it will perform if someone is inclined.
bobo5195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2006, 06:14 PM   #11
XyBeRWaReZ
Cooling Neophyte

Wouldn't this design work better? I see that Roscol's design is just straight fins. With my design, the water has an easier time flowing in and out and passes the thicker area and allowing to pickup the heat on the way out.

Just a thought though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fin Design.JPG (2.0 KB, 127 views)
Unread 03-29-2006, 06:18 PM   #12
bobo5195
Cooling Savant

if you really want to have the perfect areodynamic fin have a look for NACA (nationa advisory concil on aeronautics) fins. they did some work in the 40's getting good fins for figher jets. Got a paper on it somewhere. you'll never get the accuracy though at those scales
bobo5195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2006, 06:23 PM   #13
Roscal
Cooling Savant

BB2K > Yep, that's Debugger on Cooling-Masters too, he used chemical etching (home-made), a very fast method to cut copper plates at any forms, you assemble the plates to make channels and you get your WB (like Atotech at horizontal or 1A-Cooling at vertical).

XyBeRWaReZ > Such WB have low to moderate pressure drop, the thinner channels you make, the more channels in parallel you get, the less pressure drop at final until a certain channel width which is optimal, and if you go below this width, pressure drop will increase again (near 0.1mm, calculations could be done). My 0.3mm channels WB is less restrictive than my 0.5mm for a same total width for example. It's a good design to cool TEC if you want, but you aren't forced to make small channel, 0.5-1mm width is enough (depends of your milling capabilities and final costs ) . in terms of perf, you can make pins, it's a bit better in general because of boundary layer disturbance (I made some too).
Roscal is offline   Reply With Quote