Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 02-04-2002, 05:47 PM   #1
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

ANOTHER new water block in the works.

Well this was just something I pulled out of my dreams last night.

Have no clue if it will work or even where I am going to put the in/out lets yet.

jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2002, 06:04 PM   #2
Brad
Thermophile

centre inlet, 2x outlets in the places shown. it looks like a neat design
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (22.7 KB, 334 views)

2x 2400+ at 2288mhz (16.0 x 143), Iwill MPX2, 2x Kingmax PC-3200 256mb sticks, 4x 20gb 60gxp in Raid 5 on a Promise SX6000. Asus Ti4200 320/630. Cooled by Water
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2002, 06:10 PM   #3
webmedic
Cooling Savant

That looks almost exactly like one of the designs I've been working on. Well at least the way brad modified it.
webmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2002, 06:15 PM   #4
PetDMC
Cooling Savant

ya almost the same design as the one i want to make

PetDMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2002, 06:15 PM   #5
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

I screwed up the code on that one in the pic. I really wanted the pegs on the inside about twice as tall. Maybe the next one. I think the center intel is good idea. Not sure how I will T the two outlets together. Going to make a mess with extra hoses, but i think it is the best way to go.
Unread 02-04-2002, 06:38 PM   #6
Brad
Thermophile

why not do a manifold? you've got plenty of aluminium lying around

2x 2400+ at 2288mhz (16.0 x 143), Iwill MPX2, 2x Kingmax PC-3200 256mb sticks, 4x 20gb 60gxp in Raid 5 on a Promise SX6000. Asus Ti4200 320/630. Cooled by Water
Unread 02-04-2002, 07:25 PM   #7
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
why not do a manifold? you've got plenty of aluminium lying around
I thought about it but I don't know. Really make it restrictive aswell.
Unread 02-04-2002, 07:43 PM   #8
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

This may very well be the last peice of Copper I mill with this mill!!!

Just chewed up a $26 bit. Wasn't a good $26 bit though.

Unread 02-04-2002, 08:01 PM   #9
Brad
Thermophile

jaydee, is that copper block going to end up like the one earlier on in this thread?

cause I thought of having a starburst type pattern through that block of copper in the middle with that copper block

Unread 02-04-2002, 08:03 PM   #10
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
jaydee, is that copper block going to end up like the one earlier on in this thread?

cause I thought of having a starburst type pattern through that block of copper in the middle with that copper block
No it is going to be more like what you are saying. Won't happen anytime soon though as I don't have the right bits to mill those small channels in Copper. I just wanted to see one in copper. Inlet will definatly be in the middle. I am having a hard time trying to figure out the best way to do a manifold. That would be cool. Not sure it will help the flow rates though.
Unread 02-04-2002, 08:27 PM   #11
scythe
Cooling Neophyte

heres an idea i had last night of corse the lines would be neater and stuff and it would be centered more over the core but its a basis
the purple is where the core would kind of be , if the pic doesnt show usualy means my server is down
scythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2002, 09:07 PM   #12
Brad
Thermophile

jaydee, what about using a small enclosed box, like 3" x 2" x 2", for electronic kits, http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.fil...ogs/CTG0000458 like some of those.

scythe, good idea, it just needs some work to ensure no flow limitations, and other minor things. jaydee might make one..

Unread 02-04-2002, 09:25 PM   #13
Fixittt
CNC Beyatch

jay, I see that in the pic of the copper block, youa re trying to cut to much to fast, your mill is strong enought to do copper, if U do it slow enough.

Also, instead of drilling it with a drill bit, why not take an endmill and peck drill it. use the endmill to drill it, it wont bite as hard as a drill bit. Also, U need coolant!!!! will extend tool life, even if its a shot of wd 40 every minute or so.

keep it up, I have a design almost like the one that scythe posted, guess I can scratch that one of LOL.
Fixittt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2002, 09:42 PM   #14
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by Fixittt
jay, I see that in the pic of the copper block, youa re trying to cut to much to fast, your mill is strong enought to do copper, if U do it slow enough.

Also, instead of drilling it with a drill bit, why not take an endmill and peck drill it. use the endmill to drill it, it wont bite as hard as a drill bit. Also, U need coolant!!!! will extend tool life, even if its a shot of wd 40 every minute or so.

keep it up, I have a design almost like the one that scythe posted, guess I can scratch that one of LOL.
I am cutting as slow as the mill will go, but I think I am cutting to much at a time. I am doing 1/16" per pass and it is to much. I am using the end mill to drill down and then it makes it's pass. My mill dosn't support peck drilling though.

I am also using milling/cutting/tapping oil as lube/coolant. I need to setup a antifreeze unit but I have no place that is safe to use it at. I have the mill sitting in my room in my apartment. I have no where else to use it right now.

I am using a little shop vac to suck up the shavings as it mills. Keeps it pretty clean.

I need to get some good carbide end mills from 1/16" up to 3/8" and I will be set for Copper if I go real slow. It took 6 passes at 1/16" each to do that circle and it took about 30mins. I will need to double that to 12 passes at 1/64" a pass and it will take about an hour just to do that circle.

The Aluminum one took 10mins with 3 passes at 1/8" each and it worked great.
Unread 02-04-2002, 09:50 PM   #15
Fixittt
CNC Beyatch

yeah copper is a pain to werk with. I really think U need to build an enclosure if that mill is in your apt. U can use the shop vac to keep flying chips down to a minumum, If U need some coolant, I can get ya a small jug that goes a long way. Also U can buy a gallon of wd 40 in a large jug, and that works wonderfull as a coolant/lube, works really good for aluminum!
Unread 02-04-2002, 10:07 PM   #16
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
yeah copper is a pain to werk with. I really think U need to build an enclosure if that mill is in your apt. U can use the shop vac to keep flying chips down to a minumum, If U need some coolant, I can get ya a small jug that goes a long way. Also U can buy a gallon of wd 40 in a large jug, and that works wonderfull as a coolant/lube, works really good for aluminum!
Yep, agreed. I am trying to figure a design for the enclosure to where it will dampen the noise a lot but still get some airflow around the motor. My cables from the controller box to the mill stepper motors are very short which makes it difficult to make the right size box. I have not been able to find longer ones as they where custom made for this package.

I want to make a metal base about 4-5" high around it and then use ply wood with some type of insulation to dampen the noise for the rest. The noise isn't to bad with Al but copper it screams pretty good.

I will use WD40 for now, it is good stuff. The stuff I use now is ok but expensive. I think WD40 with have the same effect.

Sent you an e-mail aswell.
Unread 02-04-2002, 10:14 PM   #17
scythe
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
i will never make it i dont have a mill if anyone wants to take my design and improve on it so you can clamp it with the four holes or what ever and make it its sure fire with me id actually be happy to see my design actually used.
Unread 02-04-2002, 10:16 PM   #18
Fixittt
CNC Beyatch

scythe, email me the design, between Jay and I , I think we can work something out.

fixittt@cimtel.net
Unread 02-04-2002, 10:27 PM   #19
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by scythe

i will never make it i dont have a mill if anyone wants to take my design and improve on it so you can clamp it with the four holes or what ever and make it its sure fire with me id actually be happy to see my design actually used.
It will be very simple to modify to fit. Just need to move the two outlets more to the middle. Shouldn't be to difficult to make. i need more tooling though!!!
Unread 02-04-2002, 10:28 PM   #20
scythe
Cooling Neophyte

that pic is all i have nothing in solid works what more would you need i can do it tommorrow its 11:30 goin to go to bed
if you can pm me or email me @ scythe@Nothotmail.org the exact measurements for the holes and where the die is i can whipe something up in solid works if solid works isnt that much different from 3ds max

Last edited by scythe; 02-04-2002 at 10:31 PM.
Unread 02-05-2002, 01:43 AM   #21
Brad
Thermophile

jaydee, I meant instead of having a manifold you can use one of those electronic boxes to use as a Y

Unread 02-05-2002, 09:35 AM   #22
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
jaydee, I meant instead of having a manifold you can use one of those electronic boxes to use as a Y
I kinda see how that would work, but iot would be pretty getto. I might try the manifold. I think I can keep the flow going somewhat. I just hate adding all those extra 90 degree angles before the water exits the block.
Unread 02-05-2002, 01:13 PM   #23
8-Ball
Cooling Savant

Hi guys,

new here as you might have guessed.

Had a thought about the two outlets from the waterblock design you posted. I have done a lot of thinking about designing and making my own blocks and several of my ideas involved two outlets which stumped me for a while, but I think I might have a solution. I guess it depends whether or not you're running with a res or not but here goes:

I want to use 1/2" tubing to improve flow through rad cpu block etc, but I haven't seen any northbridge or gpu waterblocks with 1/2" mountings. So how about having a single 1/2" inlet above the centre of the block, then two 3/8" outlets, one going to the northbridge block and one to the gpu block. Then they could both be routed back to your res.

What do you think as I might try and incorporate this into a system of my own in the near future.

8ball
8-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2002, 01:16 PM   #24
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by 8-Ball
Hi guys,

new here as you might have guessed.

Had a thought about the two outlets from the waterblock design you posted. I have done a lot of thinking about designing and making my own blocks and several of my ideas involved two outlets which stumped me for a while, but I think I might have a solution. I guess it depends whether or not you're running with a res or not but here goes:

I want to use 1/2" tubing to improve flow through rad cpu block etc, but I haven't seen any northbridge or gpu waterblocks with 1/2" mountings. So how about having a single 1/2" inlet above the centre of the block, then two 3/8" outlets, one going to the northbridge block and one to the gpu block. Then they could both be routed back to your res.

What do you think as I might try and incorporate this into a system of my own in the near future.

8ball
That sounds interesting. One outlet will go to the North bridge and then to the res, and the other outlet will go to the GPU and then to the res. I don't cool my northbridge or GPU so I will not attempt it but if I did I would try it for sure!!! Good thought!!
Unread 02-05-2002, 02:02 PM   #25
scythe
Cooling Neophyte

i came up with a new idea i drew it but its goin to be hard to draw on the computer its almost like the spirl only the inlet isnt in the middle and its more in the shape of a snail it starts mid way to the right then goes up for a spirl in then spirls back out to curve up to the left for the outlet