Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 11-17-2006, 01:45 PM   #1
Pyrotechnic
Cooling Savant

Default GPU and Chipset water cooling options

I was wondering what the best options for cooling the GPU and Chipset is without affecting the CPU tempurature very much but without making an entirely different loop.

The CPU loop in question here would have a Eheim 1250, a large double length heater core. 1/2 inch tubing from the resivoir to the pump inlet and from the pump outlet to the radiator inlet, then 3/8 to the CPU block and to the inlet of the resivoir.

The usual setup of putting the GPU/Chipset block after the CPU in serial is what I see most people doing, although i'm worried about flow being affected because of the 2 extra blocks and tubing, as well as the fact that I dont like to have 3/8 tubing going to the graphics card as it is a pain to deal with.

Then I thought of a different idea. I would get an Eheim 1048 or possibly a smaller pump, and run 3/8 tubing from the resivoir where the water being returned from the CPU is to the pump inlet. The pump would draw this water out of the resivior as needed without affecting the loop much. From the pump outlet, i would run 1/4 inch or 5/16 tubing to the graphics card and chipset in serial, then run a return line back to the resivoir. I would use a divider to seperate the hot and cold side of the resivor with the return from the the GPU/Chipset being on the hot side. The water from the hot side would be drawn down into the main pump and through the radiator to be cooled. While an extra pump is required, it seems it might work alright.

I've included a ghetto paint drawing of all this. Let me know what you guys think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled.JPG (20.2 KB, 25 views)
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2006, 08:04 AM   #2
billbartuska
Cooling Savant

Default Re: GPU and Chipset water cooling options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic
I was wondering what the best options for cooling the GPU and Chipset is without affecting the CPU tempurature very much but without making an entirely different loop.

I've included a ghetto paint drawing of all this. Let me know what you guys think.
Or something like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Layout schematic ALL.jpg (68.4 KB, 33 views)
Two Opticals and 120 gigs (w/28gigs in RAID0) on 4 Maxstors
billbartuska is offline   Reply With Quote