Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 07-25-2007, 06:33 PM   #1
muffy
Cooling Neophyte

Default Worlds most powerful D5/655 pump

Here is what I believe to be the world's first modded Swiftech 655 / Danger Den D5.

What I have done is change the wiring geometry of the pump from a 'Y' to a Delta configuration to increase power... I have also replaced the on-board speed controller with an RC plane brushless motor controller. This was needed because it is not limited to any RPM like the stock one. I then used a servo tester to control the RPM of the motor.

The result is taking my standard pump from a non-loaded 18 Watts to a non-loaded 80 watts at 12 Volts (it can run at a higher voltage). At this wattage it will blow the pressure fittings off my water blocks if they don’t have additional retention clamps. And obviously the thing kicks ass now!

For DIY people:

If you're thinking of doing something similar, read this excellent site on wiring configurations.
You’ll also need to know that the 655’s stator has four magnets, not five or three, which greatly affects the wiring configuration used.

The three white wires coming from the pump are used for monitoring the voltage of the pump. The rest of the wires soldered to the PCB are doubled up to reduce resistance so if you're trying to figure out my wiring, just stick to red or black.

Also, when selecting a RC brushless speed controller, it’s important that you buy one that has a very high frequency, e.g. 32 kHz, otherwise the pump will emit a high pitched noise when in operation.

MORE INFO HERE http://watercooling.co.nz/forums/viewforum.php?f=14
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new_PCB.jpg (28.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg P_removed_back.jpg (43.6 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Pump_Close.jpg (41.8 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg pump_speed_servo.jpg (26.8 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Speed_servo.jpg (41.1 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by muffy; 08-01-2007 at 04:09 AM.
muffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2007, 03:39 PM   #2
Brians256
Pro/Staff

Default Re: Worlds most powerful D5/655 pump

Very interesting. Could you link to some good info on the differences between Y and Delta wiring? I see some diagrams on the internet but didn't find anything on why one would choose one versus the other.
Brians256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2007, 04:04 AM   #3
muffy
Cooling Neophyte

there is significantly more information on my own website ... i actually made a post with more info just for you so feel special

http://watercooling.co.nz/forums/viewforum.php?f=14

Last edited by muffy; 08-01-2007 at 04:08 AM.
muffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2007, 12:11 PM   #4
Brians256
Pro/Staff

Thanks, it was interesting.
Unread 01-30-2008, 02:47 AM   #5
|kbn|
Cooling Savant

Hi, I am very interested in this mod. I am using a D4 which looks mostly the same inside except for different PCB's. It makes a very annoying high pitch niose Id also like to stop.. that they fixed on the later versions. I was thinking about buying a new pump but at £50 I decided not to. replacing the speed controller seems to be a much better idea.
I would also not need to use a linear regulator to slow down the pump.
http://www.modelbatteries.com/catalo...a-p-17254.html
Do I need anything else to make it work?

I have opened up my pump, and found it has two PCB's unlike the D5 you showed. The one connected to the windings is plain with no components, instead just the connections to the windings. The other pcb is the speed controller. Here are some pictures

Last edited by |kbn|; 01-30-2008 at 04:01 AM.
|kbn| is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 05:54 AM   #6
Brians256
Pro/Staff

In order to change the speed controller, I think you'd need to replace that whole PCB. It doesn't look to be a simple job. The fix for the motor whine was, I believe, a change from a square wave pulse to the electromagnets to more of a sine wave. Laing probably just put a low-pass filter (LC perhaps?) onto the signal to the driver FETs.
Unread 01-30-2008, 03:36 PM   #7
|kbn|
Cooling Savant

the pcb in the bottom pic can stay, assuming I want to keep Y wiring. To change to delta, I would just cut some of the traces and add solder connections to the correct points. I assume if I were to by a similar RC speed controller as used above it would fit in perfectly.. the only think I dont know is the control side of it.. since I assume it connects to an RC reciver of some kind.

Your correct laing did say it was fixed by smoothing the square wave, however I think this is just later d4 versions..? The d5 has the two pcb's intergrated into one, I think they just compleatly redesigned it. Probably at a higher frequency and the modified sine wave was just a quick fix..

I also notice that with the pcb removed, and case cut down, the D4 could be amost as compact as the DDC.
Unread 01-31-2008, 10:47 AM   #8
muffy
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by |kbn|
the pcb in the bottom pic can stay, assuming I want to keep Y wiring. To change to delta, I would just cut some of the traces and add solder connections to the correct points. I assume if I were to by a similar RC speed controller as used above it would fit in perfectly.. the only think I dont know is the control side of it.. since I assume it connects to an RC reciver of some kind.

Your correct laing did say it was fixed by smoothing the square wave, however I think this is just later d4 versions..? The d5 has the two pcb's intergrated into one, I think they just compleatly redesigned it. Probably at a higher frequency and the modified sine wave was just a quick fix..

I also notice that with the pcb removed, and case cut down, the D4 could be amost as compact as the DDC.
The first paragraph seem to be pretty much right in my understand of how it all works . there is one strange thing though the coils only need 3 wires in order to work, were as your pictures shows 4 going to the bottom PCB . im not sure how this will affect your ability to use the bottom PCB with out removing it ... My D5 had a double sided PCB im guessing the D4 will be the same. this may make it difficult to rewire it with out removing the PCB from the housing and coils.

As for this "I assume if I were to by a similar RC speed controller as used above it would fit in perfectly.. the only think I dont know is the control side of it.. since I assume it connects to an RC reciver of some kind."

in the pics i have a SERVO TESTER " the variable resister". This acts as a receiver but with out receiving anything and therefore is required for the whole system to work
Unread 02-03-2008, 04:41 AM   #9
|kbn|
Cooling Savant

I assume the extra black wire is the center of the Y.

I used my multimeter to check resistances,
The black to any solder points is about 1ohm.
I measure 2.3R between any red green or yellow windings.
I intend to stay with Y for now, but if I do change to delta I would need to modify the pcb further and diconnect all the center traces.

For the speed controler, what type of signal does it require? I assume either 5v pulse or 0-5v voltage input?

for RC speed controllers, does it matter if the motor is connected in Y or delta.. is it even possible to reuse the original laing controler if the transitors/fets were upgraded?
I see microchip released schematics and code for a speed controller made with a pic, so I may build that instead depending on how complicated it is.

One thing Im interested to know, since most pc fans are also brushless could you do the same modification to them as your pump?
ive looked at one fan, apppears to be brushless but the design is confusing me. has 4 coils with 2 different colour windings on each.
The only component appears to be a hall effect sensor and there are no brushes.. I thought all brushless fans required more components for the switching.

Last edited by |kbn|; 02-03-2008 at 01:02 PM.
|kbn| is offline   Reply With Quote