Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 05-07-2007, 09:39 PM   #1
helix19
Cooling Neophyte
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Jose
Posts: 2
Where to download SNAP Assist

Hi everyone,

I am a noobie to the SNAP Server systems and also to this forum. I currently have a Snap Server 2200 and are having a problem connecting to it. I have reset the device to factory default and yet it is not grabbing a IP address and I do not have SNAP Assist to help find it. Does anyone know where I can download SNAP Assist? I have checked their website and do not see it there. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
helix19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2007, 07:47 AM   #2
blue68f100
Thermophile
 
blue68f100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 3,135
Default Re: Where to download SNAP Assist

Adaptec has been giving Assist out on request. Send them a email request and see if they will provide a link.
__________________
1 Snap 4500 - 1.0T (4 x 250gig WD2500SB RE), Raid5,
1 Snap 4500 - 1.6T (4 x 400gig Seagates), Raid5,
1 Snap 4200 - 4.0T (4 x 2gig Seagates), Raid5, Using SATA converts from Andy

Link to SnapOS FAQ's http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13820
blue68f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2007, 09:25 AM   #3
helix19
Cooling Neophyte
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Jose
Posts: 2
Default Re: Where to download SNAP Assist

Thanks a lot. I'll sent them a email and hope for the best.
helix19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2008, 11:31 AM   #4
Luffokc
Cooling Neophyte
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 1
Default Re: Where to download SNAP Assist

If you've found this thread ... you need it!



I'll leave it up as long as I have an account with RapidShare.

Last edited by blue68f100; 12-23-2008 at 12:32 PM. Reason: distribution of copyrighted material is not allowed.
Luffokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2009, 09:44 AM   #5
Harry.Butts
Cooling Neophyte
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The ATL
Posts: 2
Default Re: Where to download SNAP Assist

I'm really glad I found this site. There seems to be a wealth of knowledge here, and I just got my hands on a Snap 4000. It seems to work, but I'd like to upgrade the OS/Firmware, etc. I tried to D/L from Adaptec, but it just tells me the page can't be displayed. Is there somewhere else I can get it?

The reason I want to upgrade is so I can add more storage. If I'm reading the posts correctly, the largest drive the 4000 will handle is 137 GB. Is that correct? Does that mean I can have four 137 GB (yea, I know there isn't one) drives, or is that the TOTAL space (like four 34GB drives)?

Last edited by Harry.Butts; 02-11-2009 at 12:11 PM.
Harry.Butts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2009, 11:21 AM   #6
bitor
Cooling Savant
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 257
Default Re: Where to download SNAP Assist

Greeting:

The largest HD in the Snap4000 with SnapOS v3.4.803 is 137GB. HOWERVER, if you can get SnapOS v3.4.805 OR above you can go up to a TOTAL in the system in RAID of 1TB. The 1TB is due to the file system problem in the SnapOS. You also can theoretically have 4 750GB in JBOD mode. The problem with this IS the power supply NOT being able to handle the power pull on start up.
So, with that being said, I would subjest this...

Option 1.

I have the SnapOS v3.4.805....

Answer: Obtain 1 to 4 250GB HD ATA100 and install in RAID or JBOD(Just A Bunch Of Drives)

Option 2.

I cannot obtain SnapOS v3.4.805...

Answer: Obtain 1 to 4 160GB or 120GB or anything below 160GB and install in RAID or JBOD.

Option 3.

I have the v3.4.805 and would like to install large hard drives above 250GB up to 750GB in a configuration of JBOD (NO RAID)

Answer: You cannot do this because of the power supply problem...UNLESS you replace the power supply with an new more powerful one to handle the extra Amp pull. But they(nobody) makes these power supply replacements except for one place , BUT that is a modified replacement of the existing one. So, you are still stuck with the same power supply problem.

In conclusion, Stick with Option 2, and if you are luck enough to obtain SnapOS v3.4.805 or greater then go with Option 1. Don't do Option 3. I bring up Option 3 because it IS possible but not probable.

With Option 1 you will need Assist to upgrade and the newer SnapOS and Option 2 is an interesting thing. I have not tried this, but the Snap4000 has an embedded OS, however If the SnapOS on your HD NOW has a newer SnapOS then the embedded one then I don't know if you can keep the newer one. You may be able to by trying the steps below.

Here is what I would do if I were to go with Option 2 with a newer SnapOS on the Old HDs.

*Shutdown and unplug unit and ground yourself.


Steps:

1.)Obtain 1 to 4 160GB or below remove* Old HD position 2,3,&4 but KEEP the old drives.

2.)Keep* the old drive in position #1

3.)Now, put* in the new drive(s) 160GB or below in position #2 and power up

4.)If all goes well I believe the position #1 will transfer SnapOS to position #2 AFTER you format hard drive in position #2. via WebGUI.

5.)We will now find out if step 4 worked.

6.)Shutdown server and remove* HD in position #1 and place HD from position #2 to position #1.
(Leave out the old hard drive that was originally in position #1)

7.)Connect power supply with new hard in postion #1 and see if it boots up to the WebGUI.

In closing, If it does work(boots up) then you have transfered the SnapOS from the OLD HD to the New HD and may install the other position(2,3,&4) with newer HDs. If it doesn't boot up(Check to make sure the HD is in M or CS before quitting) then all is not lost. You will just have to use the embedded SnapOS on the Mobo and everything should work without a problem.

Good luck,

bitor

P.S. Wait to see what other people's input are before trying.


David:
Would you please delete/edit out Harry.Butts link.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry.Butts View Post
I'm really glad I found this site. There seems to be a wealth of knowledge here, and I just got my hands on a Snap 4000. It seems to work, but I'd like to upgrade the OS/Firmware, etc. I tried to D/L from http://download.adaptec.com...
.......
, but it just tells me the page can't be displayed. Is there somewhere else I can get it?

The reason I want to upgrade is so I can add more storage. If I'm reading the posts correctly, the largest drive the 4000 will handle is 137 GB. Is that correct? Does that mean I can have four 137 GB (yea, I know there isn't one) drives, or is that the TOTAL space (like four 34GB drives)?

Last edited by bitor; 02-11-2009 at 11:46 AM.
bitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2009, 12:19 PM   #7
Harry.Butts
Cooling Neophyte
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The ATL
Posts: 2
Default Re: Where to download SNAP Assist

Sorry about the link thing. I guess I'm not supposed to do that...

Thanks for all the info, bitor. It sounds like a good-news/bad-news story. I see what you mean about the power supply.

For the price of 4 120 GB drives, I may as well stick two 500 GB or 1TB drives in a PC (RAID 1), throw Server 2003 (or 2008) on it and be done with it. 160 GB drives are around 40.00 and 500 GBs are about 60.00

I really just wanted somewhere cool to store my 500 GBs of music.
Harry.Butts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2009, 01:06 PM   #8
Phoenix32
Thermophile
 
Phoenix32's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Yakima, WA
Posts: 1,282
Default Re: Where to download SNAP Assist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitor View Post
But they(nobody) makes these power supply replacements except for one place , BUT that is a modified replacement of the existing one. So, you are still stuck with the same power supply problem.
That statement is flat out total bull crap! I have set up at least 10 x Snap 4000 with 4 x 250 GB drives and DIFFERENT power supply, not a reworked/modified original, and worked great. AND, several other people who are (or used to be) on this forum have done the same.

Bluntly, I am a bit offended at your statement making it sound as if it hadn't been done or couldn't be done.

I do not involve myself much anymore in the goings on with the Snap OS units here on the forum, thus I ignore your routine (read: frequent) erroneous technical information, but this one was flat out bad advice and bold face BS. I point this out so that maybe in the future, you think before you speak, verify your information, or as a minimum people listen to David instead and take your "advice" with a grain of salt for their own good.

David can, and I am sure will, verify this message as fact.



To Harry.Butts,

The Snap 4100 hardware AND earlier versions of the Snap OS have a limit of 137 GB per drive interface. The Snap 4000 does not have this hardware limitation and can use larger drives if you have a more recent Snap OS revision. The limitations then become the power supply capability and/or a 1 TB for total capacity on any logical drive (i.e. single drive or RAID array) due to the base OS the Snap OS is written from.

You could use a single 1 TB drive if you wanted to, or a pair of 500 GB drives. The stock power supply must be replaced for a higher 12V output current if you want to use more than 2 modern drives over a single platter due to spin up power requirements of those drives. And contrary to the previous post, CAN and HAS BEEN done.
Phoenix32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2009, 03:15 PM   #9
bitor
Cooling Savant
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 257
Default Re: Where to download SNAP Assist

Listen I stand by my statement and it is true and I don't have to prove anything to you.

But that statement has little meaning now because for you to suggest that my statement is "That statement is flat out total bull crap!" to another member here is total and completely out of line and disrespectful to me and the other members. There is only one place that I have seen that makes/sells them Period for the Snap4000 model now.

So, don't come back to me "word smith" and say shit I don't want to hear it from you about this subject. And in the future, if you cannot make a comment/reply without being rude then shut the fuc k up. You are the most untactful fuc king rude bully I have ever heard.

bitor

I apologies in advance to all the other members besides Phoenix32 that might see the cus words in my post.
bitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2009, 05:52 PM   #10
Phoenix32
Thermophile
 
Phoenix32's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Yakima, WA
Posts: 1,282
Default Re: Where to download SNAP Assist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitor View Post
Listen I stand by my statement and it is true and I don't have to prove anything to you.
Funny, I don't recall asking you to prove anything to me. I did however suggest you do more research before you put out false information as facts. But what you do PROVE here is that don't like to let FACTS interfere with your OPINIONS.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bitor View Post
But that statement has little meaning now because for you to suggest that my statement is "That statement is flat out total bull crap!"
Your statement does have little meaning (or value), but because it is wrong, not for any other reason. Not my fault you are wrong. A little research, just right here on the forum alone, and you would have proof of it's error.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bitor View Post
There is only one place that I have seen that makes/sells them Period for the Snap4000 model now.
So let me get this straight. Just because you have never seen it, even though it is posted right here at length on this forum, it can't exist. Right?


Quote:
Originally Posted by bitor View Post
So, don't come back to me "word smith" and say shit I don't want to hear it from you about this subject. And in the future, if you cannot make a comment/reply without being rude then shut the fuc k up. You are the most untactful fuc king rude bully I have ever heard.
I do freely admit I am a bit of a bully towards stuborn idiots who cripple people in need of help with bogus information, sorry. I would like to know who you think you are to tell me to "shut the F%$# up"? I have provided so much more valuable (and correct) technical infomation on this forum than you it wil take you a very very long time to catch up. I am sure David, who has been here longer than any of us, can verify that for you also.

More to the point of this thread, that you have tarnished, I am a hardware engineering technician with over 8 years of formal education on the subject. Who are you? Don't answer that, I don't care. What I care about is valid information being put out to those who need it. But since you have now made it a requirment to prove the information, take a close look at the power supply of this 4000. Sure doesn't look like stock to me, or the one put out by NW Tech that you refer to. But we will let the people who need the infromation just take your word for it because you "stand by your statement as true", right?

This should end this dumb a$% conversation (and the rolling laughter begins here)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Internal.jpg (70.9 KB, 12 views)
Phoenix32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2009, 07:57 PM   #11
blue68f100
Thermophile
 
blue68f100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 3,135
Default Re: Where to download SNAP Assist

Truce,

Bitor, The statements on the 4000 you made were not correct. The 4000 can be upgraded to handle higher capacity HDs. Some but not all may have a PS problem. There is more than 1 source for power supplies. If I recall one mfg made the PS with a higher capacity, knowing it was weak.

Andy has converted many AT PS to work in the 4000. I have had users use a STD AT PS outside of the case with no problems to trouble shoot a PS that was indicating bad.

HD's have reduced their number of platter, reducing power consumption, and increased capacity all at the same time. The newer higher capacity notebook drives have higher performance than the original HD's during this era. You could install NB drives with adapters and not have any problems.

Harry, These older units are only good if your using the older OS's. If your using 98, 2k and XP these will serve you well. The 4000 is one of the quietest 4 drive systems out. They are not very fast, and is limited by the 100BaseT port, but can use most of the full capacity if connecting with FTP. SMB will be 1/2 of FTP. The FTP is very picky, so it may be difficult to get setup and working. You may need to try different clinet software to find one that works.

I still have a 2200 running on v4.0.860 firmware.
__________________
1 Snap 4500 - 1.0T (4 x 250gig WD2500SB RE), Raid5,
1 Snap 4500 - 1.6T (4 x 400gig Seagates), Raid5,
1 Snap 4200 - 4.0T (4 x 2gig Seagates), Raid5, Using SATA converts from Andy

Link to SnapOS FAQ's http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13820
blue68f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(C) 2005 ProCooling.com
If we in some way offend you, insult you or your people, screw your mom, beat up your dad, or poop on your porch... we're sorry... we were probably really drunk...
Oh and dont steal our content bitches! Don't give us a reason to pee in your open car window this summer...