Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

View Poll Results: Which block will perform better on a hi-flow 1/2" setup?
Sidewinder TC-4 39 66.10%
GeminiCool "high flow" 20 33.90%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 03-30-2002, 09:35 AM   #51
ablaze
Cooling Savant
 
ablaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Singapore!
Posts: 124
Default Re: ablaze

Quote:
Originally posted by schoolie
I think both the TC4 and the Gemini are good blocks, ablaze. You can't go wrong buying either. I feel bad putting these bogus numbers on this thread. Even if my measurements were accurate, we're talking a 1C difference.


Good luck with your W/C setup! Remember it's suppposed to be fun
how dya think these 2 fellas will compare against the maze3?
ablaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2002, 11:25 AM   #52
Haddy
Cooling Savant
 
Haddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 434
Default Re: Re: ablaze

Quote:
Originally posted by ablaze

how dya think these 2 fellas will compare against the maze3?
one way to find out =) maybe we can get the good fellas of pro cooling to get all 3 and have a good ole fashion shoot out....
Haddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2002, 12:07 PM   #53
ablaze
Cooling Savant
 
ablaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Singapore!
Posts: 124
Default

but I can't wait! I need a block NOW to start watercooling!

anyway..the poll shows 4:3 so minus that one that I voted for the sidewinder..that leaves me with an even split of opinions..argh..
ablaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2002, 01:18 PM   #54
ablaze
Cooling Savant
 
ablaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Singapore!
Posts: 124
Default

more votes please!!
ablaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2002, 02:53 PM   #55
Fixittt
CNC Beyatch
 
Fixittt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Tulsa Spell it backwards
Posts: 721
Default

I think its unfair to put these 2 blocks in a poll like this.

they were designed for each end of the water cooling spectrum.

ABLAZE I think U should first consider what you want you water cooling rig for.

Do you want quiet with a small overclock, then the gemini block would be good for you.

But if you want high heat loads, lots of water flow, and the pelt option later down the road, then between the 2 blocks, the tc-4 is the one for U. Its all a matter of what you want out of the system as a hole.
__________________
Creator of the Spir@l Block
Longest post ever
http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&postid=43808#post43808
Fixittt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2002, 02:59 PM   #56
ablaze
Cooling Savant
 
ablaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Singapore!
Posts: 124
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Fixittt
I think its unfair to put these 2 blocks in a poll like this.

they were designed for each end of the water cooling spectrum.

ABLAZE I think U should first consider what you want you water cooling rig for.

Do you want quiet with a small overclock, then the gemini block would be good for you.

But if you want high heat loads, lots of water flow, and the pelt option later down the road, then between the 2 blocks, the tc-4 is the one for U. Its all a matter of what you want out of the system as a hole.
no pelts here for sure. but I definitely want the lowest possible temps on my AXP and noise is NOT a factor! guess that that puts me in the..latter category? great. nothng like friendly advice from the creater of the infamous spir@l
ablaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2002, 03:02 PM   #57
Fixittt
CNC Beyatch
 
Fixittt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Tulsa Spell it backwards
Posts: 721
Default

also another thing to think about. Is your setup going to in a small case? 1/2 in hoses dont like to bend alot. Where as 1/4 or 3/8 hoses dont mind and wont kink on the hard bends. I know my hoses would kink before I wrapped with with wire ties to keep them open. I to my self have thought about going to 3/8 hoses.


more food for thought.
__________________
Creator of the Spir@l Block
Longest post ever
http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&postid=43808#post43808
Fixittt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2002, 03:28 PM   #58
ablaze
Cooling Savant
 
ablaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Singapore!
Posts: 124
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Fixittt
also another thing to think about. Is your setup going to in a small case? 1/2 in hoses dont like to bend alot. Where as 1/4 or 3/8 hoses dont mind and wont kink on the hard bends. I know my hoses would kink before I wrapped with with wire ties to keep them open. I to my self have thought about going to 3/8 hoses.


more food for thought.
half my setup is going to be out of the case. so 1/2" is not a problem for me
ablaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2002, 06:17 PM   #59
Haddy
Cooling Savant
 
Haddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 434
Default

i just cant get behind the gemini block...nobody designs a block for low flow with plastic fittings (and a down right aweful busniess tac imo)
Haddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2002, 06:41 PM   #60
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up
 
jaydee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Spokane WA
Posts: 6,504
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Haddy
i just cant get behind the gemini block...nobody designs a block for low flow with plastic fittings (and a down right aweful busniess tac imo)
There temps are exellent though. Check this out: http://www.overclockers.com/articles546/
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2002, 06:51 PM   #61
Haddy
Cooling Savant
 
Haddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 434
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by jaydee116

There temps are exellent though. Check this out: http://www.overclockers.com/articles546/
yea well the lack of tec support is also a major kicker with me
Haddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2002, 12:31 PM   #62
Fixittt
CNC Beyatch
 
Fixittt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Tulsa Spell it backwards
Posts: 721
Default

I think the block is great. Its beautiful, small, preforms well.

I am gonna use it in a machine, most defonitly.

its a nice peice of work for what its purpose is. And desivers the respect for that.
__________________
Creator of the Spir@l Block
Longest post ever
http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&postid=43808#post43808
Fixittt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2002, 01:46 PM   #63
DodgeViper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 204
Default

After running Prime95 for 4 hours my cpu temps were 35c. My ambient case temps were 20c and my idled cpu temps were 30c. My vote is for the Gemini High Volume Block. Update on this post. I was using a t-bird 1.4 @1534.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg block.jpg (23.6 KB, 316 views)

Last edited by DodgeViper; 10-14-2002 at 09:43 PM.
DodgeViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2002, 01:48 PM   #64
xerka
Cooling Savant
 
xerka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 107
Default

how about you just buy both blocks ablaze?
xerka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2002, 01:57 PM   #65
ablaze
Cooling Savant
 
ablaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Singapore!
Posts: 124
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by xerka
how about you just buy both blocks ablaze?
i'm thinking of giving up trying to decide (as you can see the votes are exactly equal now!) and getting this cyclone5 instead..hehe http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/sho...?threadid=2640
ablaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2002, 03:15 PM   #66
Haddy
Cooling Savant
 
Haddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 434
Default

sooo many choices.....so little money
Haddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2002, 06:15 AM   #67
Pinkster
Cooling Neophyte
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: adelaide, australia
Posts: 61
Default

well i gotta say that watercooling is getting to the stage where there are a few excellent blocks around, so excellent that i think they are getting close to the limits of straight watercooling. just that some acheive this limit with less flow that others (ie a gemini normal channel)... which is why unless you want to use pelts i think the gemini is an excellent block, as it dosent require a huge pump (1048 is sufficent), looks pretty cool i think and isnt gonna fall off the cpu due to a massive weight... one thing against the gemini though is that with less copper should the pump fail i would imagine there is a greater chance of cooking your cpu, as some of the bigger blocks have been reported to keep a cpu below 60 degrees C idle temps when the pump fails (not a big problem with pumps like eheim obviously)

considering youve already got a massive 1060 i think you could put a lump of lead on you cpu, drill a hole through it, put on some barbs and still get good temps.. so i say get whatever is more conveinient, or cheaper, or whatever you think looks better cause with a huge pump like that the difference in temps between most blocks will be negligeble
__________________
whats a sig?
Pinkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2002, 10:59 AM   #68
Haddy
Cooling Savant
 
Haddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 434
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinkster
well i gotta say that watercooling is getting to the stage where there are a few excellent blocks around, so excellent that i think they are getting close to the limits of straight watercooling. just that some acheive this limit with less flow that others (ie a gemini normal channel)... which is why unless you want to use pelts i think the gemini is an excellent block, as it dosent require a huge pump (1048 is sufficent), looks pretty cool i think and isnt gonna fall off the cpu due to a massive weight... one thing against the gemini though is that with less copper should the pump fail i would imagine there is a greater chance of cooking your cpu, as some of the bigger blocks have been reported to keep a cpu below 60 degrees C idle temps when the pump fails (not a big problem with pumps like eheim obviously)

considering youve already got a massive 1060 i think you could put a lump of lead on you cpu, drill a hole through it, put on some barbs and still get good temps.. so i say get whatever is more conveinient, or cheaper, or whatever you think looks better cause with a huge pump like that the difference in temps between most blocks will be negligeble
yea the gemini is an ok block...but u limit urself for no tecs....GOTTA HAVE A TEC OR TWO!
Haddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2002, 11:43 AM   #69
Cyco-Dude
Cooling Savant
 
Cyco-Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 836
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinkster
well i gotta say that watercooling is getting to the stage where there are a few excellent blocks around, so excellent that i think they are getting close to the limits of straight watercooling.
i dont think so at all; ppl will find better ways to make blocks and i think the performance will continue to increase over time. but anyhow....didnt he say he was getting that Silverprop block?
Cyco-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2002, 12:28 PM   #70
ablaze
Cooling Savant
 
ablaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Singapore!
Posts: 124
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyco-Dude

i dont think so at all; ppl will find better ways to make blocks and i think the performance will continue to increase over time. but anyhow....didnt he say he was getting that Silverprop block?
yeah..I am. hopefully by the end of the week i'll post some pics if I can
ablaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2002, 05:07 PM   #71
Pinkster
Cooling Neophyte
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: adelaide, australia
Posts: 61
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyco-Dude

i dont think so at all; ppl will find better ways to make blocks and i think the performance will continue to increase over time. but anyhow....didnt he say he was getting that Silverprop block?
cpu temps are now getting so close to ambient with some of these waterblocks that it cant get much lower... the gemini is getting what, cpu load temp of 7 degrees C above ambient... a few other blocks are around that mark as well... without using a water chiller or pelts you really cant expect temps on a socket athlon to get more that a couple of degrees lower than they are now...
__________________
whats a sig?
Pinkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2002, 05:21 PM   #72
Haddy
Cooling Savant
 
Haddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 434
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinkster


cpu temps are now getting so close to ambient with some of these waterblocks that it cant get much lower... the gemini is getting what, cpu load temp of 7 degrees C above ambient... a few other blocks are around that mark as well... without using a water chiller or pelts you really cant expect temps on a socket athlon to get more that a couple of degrees lower than they are now...
maybe so...but what bout the new hammers, gona have lower temps with those...pretty soon well all get ambiant
Haddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2002, 05:38 PM   #73
decodeddiesel
Cooling Savant
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: classified
Posts: 535
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Haddy
maybe so...but what bout the new hammers, gona have lower temps with those...pretty soon well all get ambiant
Within the tollerances of the temp measurment perhaps it would show your temp at ambient but you are forgetting one thing, the laws of Thermodynamics. You would have to have a "perfect" system which for all intents and purposes is a scientific impossibility. Yes we will be getting closer and closer to ambient as water cooling technology evolves and as processor power requirments drop but no one will ever achieve ambient temps from an active heat load with watercooling.
__________________
...i hurt...
do me a favor, disconect me...
they can re-work me
but i'll never be top of the line again
...i'd rather be nothing...
decodeddiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2002, 12:39 AM   #74
Brad
Thermophile
 
Brad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Nuu Zeeelin
Posts: 3,176
Default

7C is based on a certain cpu wattage.with a 2ghz XP and 2.4v, you'd be no where near 7C.

there is still a lot of room to improve waterblocks
__________________
2x P3 1100's at 1400, Abit VP6, 2x Corsair 256mb PC150 sticks, 20gb 'cuda ATA-III, 2x 40gb 'cuda ATA-IV in raid 0. 20" Trinitron. No fans

2x 2400+ at 2288mhz (16.0 x 143), Iwill MPX2, 2x Kingmax PC-3200 256mb sticks, 4x 20gb 60gxp in Raid 5 on a Promise SX6000. Asus Ti4200 320/630. Cooled by Water
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2002, 06:47 AM   #75
Pinkster
Cooling Neophyte
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: adelaide, australia
Posts: 61
Default

yes but with the .13 chips we wont be getting heat outputs close to an xp at 2.2v and higher... so probably 7 degrees (just an estimate) probably is about accurate with a good block, and i fail to see how you could get temps more than a couple of degrees better than that with straight watercooling..

of course who knows what will happen an a year or more down the track and what kind of heat outputs cpu's will be putting out, and i dont know how heatspreaders on amd cpu's down the track will have (heatspreaders may favour larger blocks instead of smaller gemini blocks by my thinking)... but i think that heat outputs wont get much higher than we have at the moment, and i still think the gemini is an excellent block..
__________________
whats a sig?
Pinkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(C) 2005 ProCooling.com
If we in some way offend you, insult you or your people, screw your mom, beat up your dad, or poop on your porch... we're sorry... we were probably really drunk...
Oh and dont steal our content bitches! Don't give us a reason to pee in your open car window this summer...