Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 08-21-2002, 04:01 AM   #1
fastfred
Cooling Neophyte

Radiator

I've got a radiator from a VW Polo,

on the top side there is some plastic covering with plastic inlet/outlet and a valve,

can i rip this of to get to the metal inlet/outlet ????
fastfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2002, 05:00 AM   #2
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

I wouldn't recommend it. I got heater core from Lancia prisma and it has plastic top and bottom, with plastic onlet/outlet. If you want to rip the plastic top you'll have to find a good way to make metal top with barbs and to seal it properly.
I think that rad you talkig about is similar to this one I got, and know this: it is not just rip off the top and solder barbs, if you look at it closely you'll see that there are multiple water pipes connected in paralell. That is what makes metal top hard to make couse you have to separate the area inside the top in two chambers (in and out chamber)

IMHO, just use what you have!
Unread 08-21-2002, 05:24 AM   #3
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

I've seen the cores of VW Golf, and for the Polo it shouldn't be very different.

This is what I have. There are two rows of pipes from top to bottom, one row connected in paralell for down flow and one row for up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled-19o.jpg (45.1 KB, 104 views)
Unread 08-21-2002, 06:14 AM   #4
fastfred
Cooling Neophyte

Thanks for your swift reply Puzzdre,

you stated just what i had in mind (suspected), on the radiator you can see that the diameter of the plastic in/outlet increses to the actual radiator, so probably indeed multiple barbs to 1 in/outlet.

The only problem i still have : the valve, should this be a problem?

I mean will it cause problems with the flow?
Unread 08-21-2002, 06:35 AM   #5
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

Don't know for sure, but...

I had one core (from Renault I think) that had the valve located in the path of one of barbs. It won't be a problem, try to figure a way to keep it open (I suspect the valve opens when one wants to heat the car, otherwise it stays closed). Just seal and secure it with good quality silicone, I did it on the rad I had, but it leaked from the punctured pipes, so I had to junk it. On that rad the valve was located sideways on one barb (inlet) and had some mechanical pulley way for open/close operation. I just removed the pulley assembly and used silicone and epoxy to fix the valve in position.

I hope that you'll find the way
Unread 08-21-2002, 06:45 AM   #6
fastfred
Cooling Neophyte

Thanks again,

yesterday i already removed the pully, but glueing into a fixed position seems a good idea.