Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 11-01-2002, 02:27 PM   #1
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Default Won the Radiator Lottery!

Check this thing of beauty out. I picked it up new on EBay for $71. It is a Lytron 6320 ALL COPPER heat exchanger (23"x12"x3.5" ... not an internal mount type) with 1/2" barbs, and the internals are made out of 1/2" copper tubing with copper fins (no thin tubes to severely hamper flow ... just a ton of switchbacks to mildly slow down the works, though it'll be no sweat with the pump I'll be using). It is coated with black anti-corrosive paint, and has a built in mounting bracket.

I'm probably going to use this bastid as a cooler for a multiple computer rack mount with centralized cooling I'm starting to gather stuff for. The BIX I'm using now will probably be used as an aftercooler on a secondary loop coming from my res (from the res -> Crap ViaAqua submerged -> BIX -> same res). I won't attact fans to the BIX ... it'll just be for drawing a little more heat out of the water. That is, if it even needs it after it all passes through this monster.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg lytron6320.jpeg (20.1 KB, 444 views)
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2002, 02:27 PM   #2
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Don't the 1/2" connectors look tiny in comparison? *sigh*
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
Unread 11-01-2002, 02:46 PM   #3
dantheman
Cooling Savant

I hate you.

btw, nice rad!
dantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2002, 03:00 PM   #4
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Here is the plan. Since it is too big to fit in a Server Rack, I'll be using stacked desktop boxes (horiz. oriented, vertically stacked) instead of 4U cases, and I'll turn the base into a chest style arrangement that'll serve as a table and a centralized cooler, like this (front):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coolerchest.jpg (8.4 KB, 390 views)
Unread 11-01-2002, 03:00 PM   #5
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

And this (rear):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coolerchestb.jpg (13.3 KB, 386 views)
Unread 11-01-2002, 03:05 PM   #6
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

I would think that you'd go with a blower on this one, given that you want a 1/4 inch pressure drop across it. Keep the exit clear: it's gonna blow!
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2002, 03:52 PM   #7
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

A blower? I'm afraid I don't understand. Really, I wanted to keep the fan involvement as low and quiet as I could ... what is your exact recommendation? By the way, this is the type of massive radiator I was mentioning to you before ... I spotted it on EBay right after you went heater core hunting for me.

1/4" pressure drop? That really lost me ....

Oh, I talked to the seller ... this bastid weighs 17.5 lbs! That's a lot of copper.
Unread 11-01-2002, 04:39 PM   #8
N8
Cooling Neophyte

Those small double (side-by-side) fan window units would work great with that. You can get those window fans with a reversible switch, even on each fan. That way you could put the fan in the window, mount the radiator on either side, and have the window unit blow or suck, or even have one blowing through one half, and one sucking through the other half, depending on outside air temps, of course.

BTW, I am just across the border from ya.....
N8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2002, 04:47 PM   #9
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Actually, I work in Pullman (and I'm at work right now). I assume that's what you mean, right?
Unread 11-01-2002, 04:57 PM   #10
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Ah!

I'm thinking squirrel cage fan blower.

The 1/4 inch is the pressure drop (measured as 1/4 inch of water) from one side of the rad to the other. In psi, that's 0.010 .

Most axial fans don't push any air at all at that kind of pressure drop.

Check out the blowers from Delta: www.deltaww.com
Unread 11-01-2002, 05:26 PM   #11
koslov
Cooling Savant

LOL, I had been watching that auction myself...

Fortunately, I found something a little more compact to suit my needs:
Lytron 4120

I'll take some better pics later, (I just received it today) that pic is from the auction. This came with 2 120mm AC fans (Nidec Alpha V's) and has 3/8" ID connections. Stainless steel tubing and copper fins. Brand new, $54 shipped ($352 retail).

BTW, if you need a Comair Rotron Caravel to slap on that thing (that's the fan they designed the mounts for), I have one for sale.
koslov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2002, 05:53 PM   #12
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

This one doesn't have the fan mount plate. Kind of a bummer, but it wouldn't be necessary with how I'm planning on setting it up. Funny thing was that I was watching the auction for yours, as well, and there is a thread I started about galvanic corrosion specifically because I was curious about brass fittings and a stainless rad such as yours. Small world, eh?

Ben, I looked at the blowers, and I don't think something like that'll do it for my goals. I'm thinking more along the line of those 200 CFM triple-blade fans (though 56 dB is ear-shattering) or a few of the superflo type 120mms that push 100 CFM at around 44 dB. They'll be super expensive, though. I'm thinking with a few fans like the superflos, I'll have more than enough air flow (and I'll warn the ladies to hold their skirt down when they walk in front of it so they won't pull a Marilyn Monroe). With a few pushing together, I think I'll get good flow going. If nothing else, I'll hood up with a box fan from Wal-Mart and mod the shiz out of it (chop down the blades, do away with the ghey box, and mount it to my cooler-chest of d00m).
Unread 11-01-2002, 05:56 PM   #13
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

By the way, Ben, where did you get the 1/4" figure from, anyway? I've never seen that before.
Unread 11-01-2002, 06:09 PM   #14
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

From what I see, if I'm pumping, say, 400 CFM (5xPanaflo 120mm M), I should only have .1 inches of resistance. Yeah, it'll hamper air flow, but I should be fine with regular fans, unless I'm reading this completely wrong.

That should translate (at that air flow and 2 GPM) into 275 BTU/HR F, whatever the f*ck that means. What is the conversion to Wattage (as in how many 100W AXP chips cooking at 1875 Mhz?)? It's been a long time since I had to deal with this kind of crap. Anyone?
Attached Images
File Type: gif che_chart_c_1a.gif (12.3 KB, 346 views)
Unread 11-01-2002, 06:22 PM   #15
N8
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally posted by airspirit
Actually, I work in Pullman (and I'm at work right now). I assume that's what you mean, right?

Yes, you are correct. I work at WSU.
N8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2002, 06:24 PM   #16
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

I got the 1/4 inch from BillA's article, and from fan specs. Check them out: at 1/4 inch, they don't flow anything. The blower can handle 1.0 inch: undervolted, you'll get 1/4 inch with far more flow.

If ya wanna be a cheap bastard like me use a car's blower (interior fan).
Unread 11-01-2002, 06:52 PM   #17
gmat
Thermophile

Given the size of that beast, are fans needed at all ? It seems lots of trouble and noise for about nothing...
I wouldnt be surprised if it handled a 400W load passively.
Argh i whish i had access to this kind of HW :shrug:
gmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2002, 09:47 PM   #18
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Yeah, I figure fans are needed, but I'm going to go with an array of low volume, medium CFM fans. My computer room hovers around 90F (even now when it's below freezing almost 24/7), so I need to be a bit more proactive with my unit. In the summer this room is sweltering. I've got 1000s of Ws of electronics all running in this room.
Unread 11-05-2002, 01:02 PM   #19
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Default THE PROJECT HAS BEGUN!

Go to http://users.adelphia.net/~jnsholcomb/Page1.htm for a worklog I'm building for this project. I have the box made and most of the parts on order, and some thoughts on the design of this bad boy. Any input or advice you guys could provide would be GREATLY appreciated, because when I start putting this together, I'm not going to have the resources to make any changes for a LONG time.

Last edited by airspirit; 11-05-2002 at 02:41 PM.
Unread 11-05-2002, 02:25 PM   #20
gmat
Thermophile

"page1.htm" is not there
It should be "Page1.htm" (Internet is a caps-sensitive world)
I'm off for an online game i'll read later...
gmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2002, 02:41 PM   #21
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Good catch. Thanks, G.
Unread 11-05-2002, 03:11 PM   #22
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
...BigBen2K couldn't think of anything...
Gee, thanks
Unread 11-05-2002, 03:37 PM   #23
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Oddly, I meant that as a compliment. Since you couldn't think of anything, I gave up on a car heater core. With how much you know about those things, if you couldn't think of one, it pretty much doesn't exist.
Unread 11-10-2002, 09:05 PM   #24
bigdawginva
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Check this thing of beauty out. I picked it up new on EBay for $71.
It's amazing what threads like this will do. A guy sold one two weeks ago w/fans for $46.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1782862712

Tonight some schmo pays $106 to the same guy for the same thing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...786039691&rd=1

Marketing to WCing enthusiasts made him $60 in two weeks. Well done!
bigdawginva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2002, 09:54 PM   #25
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

no, its eBay that is variable
$50, no bidders, $200 - all the same item
- its when 2 people chase the same item that the price goes up

I just listed a Lytron also, but aluminum and bit big
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1787010044
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote