Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 11-04-2002, 07:31 PM   #1
jtroutma
Cooling Savant

Default Finished my mods...again! :D

Finally got around to installing the new pump, tubing, and radiator that I have been holding on to for almost a month. Sadly, according to my in-socket probe, my temps are now 3C higher than it was with my smaller pump and my AquaCoil radiator ( almost plugged up solid with dust bunnies!)

My new system consists of the following:

Dtek custom Radiator Kit w/ shroud and 1/2" fittings
Sedra 3500A pump w/ 1/2" intake & 3/8" out
Tygon Tubing
Straight Distilled Water
Sunon 108CFM 120mm Fan sanded for noise (did make a difference!!)
Dtek TC-4 Waterblock w/ 3/8" fittings NO MODS

CPU: XP 1800+ @ 1725 (150FSB x 11.5) Stock Voltage

NEW TEMPS
CPU: 35C Case: 32C

OLD TEMPS
CPU: 32C Case: 30C

Need to check the temps again when I get home to verify a true increase in temps. ONLY HAVE SOCKET PROBE TEMPS AVALIABLE.

Maybe springs in the TC-4 will help my temps..........................
SCSI Raid 5 x (3) Cheetah 15K HDDs
LSI Express 500 (128MB cache)
OCZ PowerStream 520W PSU
ATI X850XT PE (Stock)
DTEK WhiteWater + DTEK Custom Radiator
Eheim 1250
jtroutma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2002, 01:42 AM   #2
Can O' Beans
Cooling Savant

Could try reseating the waterblock onto the CPU
Can O' Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2002, 02:58 AM   #3
MadDogMe
Thermophile

Can you elaborate on the 'sanded for noise' fan?...
O/T
I saw a thread on OCAU were some dude put paper/tape around the inside circle of the fan to make the gap between blades and housing smaller, he said it increased static pressure?...
MadDogMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2002, 04:38 AM   #4
gmat
Thermophile

jroutma: i see a higher case temp. Obviously all comes from this, do your rad fan blow out of the case or in the case ?
"Something" changed and your case temp got higher - ambient, case configuration... It can be anything !
Do you run with your case open ? Closed ? How is is ventilated ? Better of worse than before ?

Side note, @35°C (even in-socket) i wouldnt mind at all ... ak i know ppl with Alpha's (air cooled..) who are happy when they get down to 45°C (in-socket). I'd prefer a neat setup, silent and clean, with slightly higher temps, to a turbine-sounding mess with low temps.

(edit) oops is your pump *more* powerful (in watts) than the previous one ? Is designed for high flow or high head ?
gmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2002, 03:09 PM   #5
jtroutma
Cooling Savant

I will try reseating my block in about a week or two. Right now I am enjoying just HAVING a working system as opposed to one in "pieces"

The "sanded for noise" is simply that I took my 120mm fan and sanded the fan blades with 600grit then 1500grit sand paper to make them smoother. The results were a noticeable decrease in fan noise (not HUGE, just noticable). Now my 5 SCSI drives are louder than my 120mm Sunon fan

Gmat:

hehehe yea found out why my case temp rose soo much last night; had the window closed for two days

Now my temps were 28C - 29C and my CPU temps were 32C - 33C. Still there is an increase in CPU temps.

I am now using a stonger pump then before; current pump rated at 35W, old one rated at 22W. Pump rated for 350gph @ 8' vs 380gph @ 3'.

My Case is run open. Fan is setup to blow air through radiator and then out the top back of the case.

It is probably a bad block mount now that I figured out why the dang room was soo hot. I will remount it eventually and put back on my CPU shim at the same time.

HOWEVER, I am please to report that running "mixed" line sizes in my setup works wonderfully. I have 3/8" tubing running from pump -> block -> rad -> res, then 1/2" tubing from res -> pump. I completely pinched off the line going into the pump and it just springed back as if nothing happened; as opposed to having the tube remain collapsed as expereinced in another thead:

Check your Hoses
SCSI Raid 5 x (3) Cheetah 15K HDDs
LSI Express 500 (128MB cache)
OCZ PowerStream 520W PSU
ATI X850XT PE (Stock)
DTEK WhiteWater + DTEK Custom Radiator
Eheim 1250
jtroutma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2002, 03:23 PM   #6
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Nice going.

I started to make the switch from 1/2 to 3/4. I picked up 5 feet of braided 3/4 ID vinyl hose last night. No kinking here!

I can't get all the parts I need in town though, so I'll have to drive throughout the area. I'd hate to order this stuff on-line.

Here's a pic of the pump, with the old 1/2 fittings:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2-mdq-sc.jpg (44.4 KB, 62 views)
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote