Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 12-31-2002, 11:55 PM   #1
Nick C
Cooling Neophyte

Default uilizing ground temps

the gournd stays around 56 or so degrees fariegnhieght year round at depths of 2 or so feet around here, in oregon.

So, I wonder if burying copper pipe aout 1.5 feet down in a winding pattern, would give good temperatures, siliently...

r, would a multiple-channel parrallel setup be better?

Also, in a one pump setup, what pump should I use?

in a two pump, I plan to use my Eheim, and also to use a very powerful one to push water through the pipes, which then will be pumped into a resivore.

see the pic I attached, it shows a winding two pump system
Attached Images
File Type: gif ground.gif (13.8 KB, 150 views)
Nick C is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2003, 12:16 AM   #2
Mikey Boo
Cooling Neophyte

not sure about this in oregon, but i think u might have to go deeper. u have to worry about the perma frost layer, winter times(anything down to 3 feet) not sure but i think i am... ive seen sum ppl go down to 6 feet deep and then have thier water container. if u only went down to 2 feet deep u have to worry about the lines freezing with the water. if i kan find the article, ill post the url for ya.

other wise it is a gud idea... im goin to see if i can do this where i live, just have to figure what type of supplies i need first.
Unread 01-01-2003, 12:36 AM   #3
Nick C
Cooling Neophyte

all I know is, we left a pipe under 6 inches of soil this winter when it froze, and it didn't break

in this part of oregon is rarly gets to freezing
and there isn't permafrost here lol
Unread 01-01-2003, 03:35 AM   #4
Mikey Boo
Cooling Neophyte

okay my bad on the perma frost thing, its bloody new years drinking... anyways there still is a frost layer, that u have to watch out for, maybe... all iknow is the deeper u go the less increase and decrease of temps u will get. it will stay at a certain temp when u go deeper into the ground. where as if its only a foot deep u will get hotter temps durin the day and cooler in the evenin.

and happy new year to anyone who reads this post im goin to pass out now!
Unread 01-01-2003, 05:30 AM   #5
gmat
Thermophile

Nick C: do a search in these forums for posts made by 'BladeRunner'.
And take a look at his site:
http://www.zerofanzone.co.uk
He's done that already You'll find lots of info there and in these forums.
gmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2003, 01:54 PM   #6
Nick C
Cooling Neophyte

thanxs guys
Unread 01-06-2003, 02:59 PM   #7
redleader
Thermophile

Yeah but Blade had ground water too as I recall. What I want to know is if that would work here in Tucson. Go a few feet down and the sand is quite cool - even when its a 120F outside.
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2003, 04:12 PM   #8
gmat
Thermophile

As long as the soil is cold enough all year long, there's no problem. BR has buried his tank in dirt BTW, not water. Just make sure you've got a thermally conductive tank...
Unread 01-06-2003, 04:35 PM   #9
ambient
Cooling Savant

i sent a link to overclockers about a year ago with a guy that did this with a maze2, ehiem 1250, and a 50 gallon tank. He said in the article that he needed to put it 6 feet down for a constant 11c all year. Check www.overclockers.com for a link. After reading the article i thought about drilling a whole in the basement wall for a long time ;D wife wouldn't let me
Unread 01-06-2003, 06:37 PM   #10
Yo-DUH_87
Cooling Savant

another good 'ol oregonian, what part of oregon? I live in Tigard, near portland or tualatin...

I just had the experience of helping fix a pipe break from the water box to the house (or at least helped dig/fill in the holes). They put your water main pipes down about 3-4 feet, at the most.

Heck, we have water pipes running under our house, that have never frozen, and they are completely exposed to the cold/heat of the season!

If it works, fix it until it's broke!
Then, after it's broke, add duct tape!

Affordable webhosting!
Yo-DUH_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2003, 02:03 AM   #11
freeloadingbum
Cooling Savant

A parellel setup should give you better flowrate through your system. But whatever you do, be careful cause there's a giant rat living under your house and it might have rabies!
freeloadingbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2003, 10:09 PM   #12
Hixup
Cooling Neophyte

i saw a guy that went overboard, he watercooled everything includeing his psu, but he burryied a resuvior of a coupple gallons eight feet deep in the ground, but he had a rad in his comp, just basicly chilled water. I forgot where the pics are at... but it has it all. He even dug it with a back hoe.
[edit] sorry i didnt read that guys post, http://www.zerofanzone.co.uk/ saw it somewhere on there [/edit]
[edit2] http://www.dwpg.com/content.php?cont...77&orgartid=57 [/edit2]
512 DDR
radoen 9500 Soft Mod
Give Me Money
Hixup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2003, 02:33 AM   #13
gmat
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally posted by Hixup
i saw a guy that went overboard, he watercooled everything includeing his psu, but he burryied a resuvior of a coupple gallons eight feet deep in the ground, but he had a rad in his comp, just basicly chilled water. I forgot where the pics are at... but it has it all. He even dug it with a back hoe.
[edit] sorry i didnt read that guys post, http://www.zerofanzone.co.uk/ saw it somewhere on there [/edit]
[edit2] http://www.dwpg.com/content.php?cont...77&orgartid=57 [/edit2]
Yep. BladeRunner. That's his nickname He's has quite a few posts on these very forums...
Unread 01-08-2003, 09:14 AM   #14
Nick C
Cooling Neophyte

heh, I live down by roseburg... I'm the only WC/OCer in the whole county!!

anyway, I found a big, copper radiator I'd use if I did this

and I think I might try it!
Unread 01-08-2003, 06:24 PM   #15
BrianW
Cooling Savant

If you bury a reservoir it will be exposed to about whatever the average yearly temerature is in your area. That is what I remember from geology in college.

Brian W

Flow: Res, Pump, CPU watervlock, Y into both rads, both rads into res independently.

Athlon XP 1800+ (@ 1731 - 150mhz fsb.), on a Asus A7N266-c, and a Radeon 9000 *waiting for RMA'd Saphire 9800 ultra from Newegg)
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote