Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 01-31-2003, 03:35 PM   #1
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Default Sweet $800 Computer Project

Athlon XP 1700+ JIUCB @ 2000/1.70V
XMS 3200 256MB @ 2-2-2-4/2.77V
EPoX 8RDA+ w/ Vantec Copper Iceberq
v92 PCI Modem
GF2MX400 64MB
Vantec 6040 Copper HSF
56X CDROM
Floppy Drive
60GB HDD
Windowed case w/ 3 80mm fans
350W PSU
17" ViewSonic P70F PerfectFlat monitor

This entire case/monitor/kb/mouse is black with silver accents. It is running fast and strong, and absolutely tears through anything I put it up against. Idle 46C/Load 55C. Not only is it ultra fast, but relatively quiet, as well (36 dB). This is a commission build for a 60 year old client who wanted a computer for office type work, occassional gaming for the grandkids, and something that would be not only easy on the eyes stylewise, but easy on the eyes on the monitor (hence the $250 professional grade monitor). I've bumped the CPU up to over 2250 Mhz at 1.85V, but she won't need that kind of speed, so I'm going for the longevity route.

Before I sunk my claws into her, she was looking at $2000 Dells and Gateways ... and none of them would fly as fast as this beast. I'm getting a nice commission out of this project, as well, besides getting my jollies off on tooling with hardware.
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2003, 03:42 PM   #2
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Here is pic #1:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blackbox1.jpg (63.0 KB, 72 views)
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
Unread 01-31-2003, 03:42 PM   #3
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Here is another angle:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blackbox2.jpg (62.9 KB, 70 views)
Unread 01-31-2003, 03:42 PM   #4
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

What do you guys think? Isn't the life of a geek grand?
Unread 01-31-2003, 04:03 PM   #5
jtroutma
Cooling Savant

Can be....... I personally LOVE building super systems for people....just so I can play with very expensive equipment and not have to buy it myself. One other great benefit, is that it does WONDERS for your credit.

Bad side, if your customer backs out or a project goes horribly wrong, then you end up eating much of the costs....... that has happened a few times for me and I am currently digging myself out of one of those holes. Ordered (2) 36Gb 15K Seagate Cheetah drives and a couple of accessories to build an external RAID box for a server here at work. The box is for dedicated storage for the yearbook/newspaper classes so they dont hog the servers storage space (and I dont have to keep reseting their account quota limits )
Well, it took me 2 months to get everything up and running 100% correctly and just now am able to get reimbursed for my purchases.... at least the principal likes me a lot and has offered to pay the intrest that has built up.

AHHHHHH the life as a computer guru....
SCSI Raid 5 x (3) Cheetah 15K HDDs
LSI Express 500 (128MB cache)
OCZ PowerStream 520W PSU
ATI X850XT PE (Stock)
DTEK WhiteWater + DTEK Custom Radiator
Eheim 1250
jtroutma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2003, 04:18 PM   #6
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

I insist that everything gets charged to the customer directly from the wholesaler, whomever that may be. I just serve as an intermediary and builder. Ergo, no risk. I will not put my own funds on the line for a customer, regardless of how well I know them, and usually they understand perfectly.
Unread 01-31-2003, 05:30 PM   #7
g.l.amour
Cooling Savant

good job!!!

although i have stopped assembling pc's for ppl. most of the time it means that u build the pc for next to no comission because the warehouse pc's can't be beaten for price nor service (i work for such a warehouse pc brand, their service is unmatched by dell even).

so u make next to no money, + they feel like they did u such a favor letting u make their pc , that they can bugger you for a long time to come for every pissy software problem (am exagerating but being a helpdesk jokey... I HATE END USERS)

i just installed an 8rda+ myself, nice little motherboard. at 166FSB the NB HS doesn't get nearly as warm as i expected.
Unread 01-31-2003, 06:02 PM   #8
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

I make certain things clear. First, I will never build a PC for less than $100 USD. No arguments. Normally, for detailed overclocks and cooling installations, I demand up to $200. Second, I'll install Windows, Office, and the basics such as Acrobat Reader, Java, and Mozilla, but nothing more unless they want to pay for it. Third, I only do software issues for them under three conditions: 1) if the problem is my fault, or 2) if they paid me an obscene amount of money, or 3) if they are a broadband customer of mine. I always help my broadband folks. If it is a hardware problem that I caused, I fix it ASAP. If it is one they caused (like the gal that tried to cram a LAN card in an AGP slot), they are on their own. Most of the time, though, I'll help the first one or two times they ask for piddly help, but after that, I make it clear they are on their own. They are all informed of this policy from the get-go, so they can't say I didn't warn them.

All in all, I usually spend less than 3-4 hours doing it, most of which is spent reading a book during installs, and make $100-200. Not a bad deal for me, and a great deal for them. It keeps me in electro-toys.
Unread 02-16-2003, 09:29 PM   #9
Axle
Cooling Savant

Oh I don't know, and 60 year old & a windowed case? She like it?

Swell monitor, BTW
Unread 02-17-2003, 08:50 AM   #10
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

What do you mean does she like it? She picked it! The reason is so she can know to dust it out without having to open the side of the case all the time (weird, but it makes sense). She could care less about it otherwise.