Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 04-23-2003, 01:38 AM   #1
blewout
Cooling Neophyte

Default First drawings of my WB.

What do you guys think? Im probally going to make it alittle bit bigger, im not sure tougth. The middle inlet is going to be a 3/8 hole directly in the middle. I would appreciate your comments, thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg .02a.jpg (46.3 KB, 267 views)
blewout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2003, 02:29 AM   #2
ks1
Cooling Neophyte

nice design!
but i don't know if the design is flow-restricted. water would prefer flowing outside the maze to inside the maze.
is it easy to build?
ks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2003, 02:40 AM   #3
blewout
Cooling Neophyte

its going to have 2 outlets and 1 inlet "middle" with a toplate hole drilled in the middle "3/8" just big enough to cover the "X" in the middle... hope that clears things up.
Unread 04-23-2003, 07:31 AM   #4
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

YES!

Very good design! Should work very well, if you can solve the inlet geometry, as I'm facing here.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2003, 07:32 AM   #5
hara
Cooling Savant

Nice design, which can actually be milled with cnc.

The problem is that connected fins dissipate heat much better. If you have the time and tooling to make it, you ought to do much better than that design. Also, the middle X will have a deadspot at the bottom, where most of the heat will be concentrated. This can be rectified by nozelling.
- FMZ
hara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2003, 04:45 AM   #6
blewout
Cooling Neophyte

well, im thinking if i put a topplate on the top with a hole just big enough to cover the x i should be good.... i plan on going with deep chanels to increase the flow "5mil" with the baseplate 1mil thin. I need to talk a few more people about doing this. If its going to be made i will use a 1millimeter bit with a high speed cnc. I know a few guys that do alot of work for the big 3 "ford, gm, chrysler". Me living close to Detroit has its advantages, alot of CNC's. My good friend does alot of cnc work and told me that he can look into making the part. i will keep you everyone posted, i just wanted to see if anyone say any flaws. im still not sure what to do, i will probally extend the fins to be connected to the middle x.
Unread 04-24-2003, 05:28 AM   #7
ks1
Cooling Neophyte

Will a simple zig-zag pattern work better? /\/\/\/\/\/\/
It will look like Cathar's WW but with zig-zag pattern which will give you higher surface area while not being flow-restricted.
ks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2003, 05:26 PM   #8
OTMOPO3OK
Cooling Neophyte

WAIT, i think zig-zag WILL be more flow restrictive than just plain fins.... not sure if it offers any improvement...the fins give heat to water very efficiently ...making them zig-zag would not change anything..except add restriction
EDIT: plus it will be much harder to make
Unread 04-26-2003, 07:06 PM   #9
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

That would look cool. The jagged shiz would cause massive turbulence which will prolly help alot.
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2003, 08:06 PM   #10
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally posted by OTMOPO3OK
WAIT, i think zig-zag WILL be more flow restrictive than just plain fins.... not sure if it offers any improvement...the fins give heat to water very efficiently ...making them zig-zag would not change anything..except add restriction
EDIT: plus it will be much harder to make
Actually it's not that bad, and the added flow restriction should be minimal, but could increase faster, at higher flow rates.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote