Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Xtreme Cooling
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Xtreme Cooling LN2, Dry Ice, Peltiers, etc... All the usual suspects

Unread 04-29-2003, 08:31 AM   #1
Axly
Cooling Neophyte

Default Effective plate for dual pelts? "Triblock"

I was looking through some old stuff the other day, and on one of my webplaces I found some old drawings.. They were made back in late 2000 / early 2001 and I'm pretty sure i asked about the idea at H at the time, but i didn't get any good answers (at least i can't remember any )

Basically the idea was to minimize the mass of the cooling plate and that way gaining some extra "oomph" from the TEC's. Never mind the design of the waterblocks, and never mind the bad quality of the picture..

The bottom part of the tri-block is placed on the processor core, and on each of the free sides of the triangle is a pelt mounted and on top of that a waterblock. Since you would bolt the block to the triangle you could get quite a lot of pressure on the TEC which would be good.
I'm not quite sure i remember what the blue pieces are, but i think i meant for them to be plastic or something, and that they are meant for mounting this whole package to the motherboard.

Now.. would this be a good idea?
I still have a couple of 120W pelts at home and when i found these old drawings i sort of got interested in trying out pelts again
Attached Images
File Type: gif peltriangle.gif (19.6 KB, 75 views)
Axly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2003, 08:36 AM   #2
Axly
Cooling Neophyte

Here's a better pic of what it would look like..

the major caveats would be that the upper part would be a bit useless since most of the heat gets taken care of before coming halfway up through the cu-triangle, but maybe it's not so bad after all considering the larger mass in the bottom part distributing the energy to a larger part of the "triblock"...

You tell me if I was thinking the right way back then
Attached Images
File Type: gif pelts.gif (2.3 KB, 80 views)
Unread 04-29-2003, 09:08 AM   #3
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally posted by Axly
...but maybe it's not so bad after all considering the larger mass in the bottom part distributing the energy to a larger part of the "triblock"...
That's the problem.

The larger mass will add to the temperature gradient i.e. there will be a large temperature difference between the coldest point, and the hottest point, because of the large mass.

But hey, it's still going to work.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2003, 09:39 AM   #4
Axly
Cooling Neophyte

*ponder* hmm.. would it really?...
(I'm not sure at all about this, but hey, I have to ask to get answers )

A traditional dual pelt plate/block would look like the left part of the pic. Let's assume that a plate like that is say 6 mm thick.

On the right pic i've added two halves of a traditional block behind the triangle (the size isn't exact there on the triangle) The base of the triangle has to be a bit thicker than (2x(traditional block height)) due to core size, but there would still be less mass to cool in the triangle than the traditional block, and the distances from the core to the outmost parts of TEC's are about the same on both blocks...

Height of the triblock is slightly less than a pelt's width due to the slanted mounting, let's say i use 50mm pelts, and the triangle has a 20 mm wide base, while the traditional plate is 6 mm thick...

trad. block: 100 x 50 x 6 = 30'000 mm3
triblock: (~50 x 50 x 20)/2 = ~25'000 mm3
Attached Images
File Type: gif blockmass.gif (1.3 KB, 74 views)